I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need advise with new Nova chuck for wood handles.
Posted by: Rich Gassman (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 07:46PM

Hi, I need some advise on a Nova Midi chuck I just purchased today. I have a small older Record Power Drillmaster wood lathe I purchased around 15 years ago. Today I purchased a Nova Midi Chuck and a set of pin jaws thinking it would work for fishing rod handles. It turns out the Nova Midi chuck will not open, far enough using the pin jaws to work on fishing handles. Can someone tell me does the Super Nova Chuck with the pin jaws open at least a inch and a quarter, and would it be to big for a smaller wood lath like the older one I have. The salesman at the wood store said the bigger chuck would where the bearings in the headstock out on a smaller lathe. Any help is very much appreciated, thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need advise with new Nova chuck for wood handles.
Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 08:54PM

The new Nova Midi (I don't know about the discontinued Compac Chuck) comes with the standard 50mm Jaws and screw chuck. The pin jaws are an option you should've purchase separately. If this is not the case then you may have a problem with the retailer.

The 50mm jaws open to just shy of 2".

As for the Super Nova: the bigger chuck will have an effect on the lifetime of the lathe (but then again the parts are replaceable). IMO the bigger concern is the size. When I turn reel seats, I get fairly close to the head of the lathe and the less metal swinging around to hit my knuckles the better.

Christian

Posted by: Rich Gassman (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 12:04AM

Thank you Christian for your help. I am trying to figure out the chuck I need to buy to use the nova pin jaws, I did purchase them separately from the Nova Midi Chuck. I noticed while reading on this forum that the pin jaws really held well for center boring real seats. The problem I have is the pin jaws only open to about 7/8 of an inch fully opened with the Midi chuck. They close to a quarter inch which would come in handy for a few things, just not the reason I needed them. I am going to return the Midi Chuck for the regular Nova Chuck or the Super Nova tomorrow to see if the ID of the pin jaws will open to a inch and a quarter, that would be great. Thank you for your help Christian.

Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 01:40AM

Rich -

I think you missed something, you do not need return your chuck. When you buy a Nova Midi chuck it should have come with 50mm jaws - those 50mm jaws will hold a 1 1/4" piece. You should not need to buy anything extra or use another chuck. You just need to replace the pin jaws with the 50mm jaws that originally came with your new chuck. Replacing the jaws on the chuck is fairly easy and straight forward, just make sure you read the instructions.

In fact with the Nova Midi Chuck (not the older Nova Compac) you can use any standard Nova jaw set. 25mm, 35mm, 45mm, 50mm, 100mm, the Step Jaws and the Cole Jaws.

[www.teknatool.com]
[www.teknatool.com]

Christian

Posted by: johnny (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2005 06:11PM

I hope you were able to fix that problem ,,,,let me know if the girls like wider handles......???
johnny

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster