I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is it worth it?
Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 03:30PM

I've read on this board several posts about re-doing a rod blank. Well, I'm in the same situation and need to redo a rod that I did before... for a couple of reasons. I beleive the guides I used (this was only my second rod ever made) are too big for the blank and causing it to feel somewhat damped (its not as sensitive and doesn't cast as well as I think it should). Guides: 25-20-16-12-10-10-8-8-and a 6 or 7 plus tip, on a Shikari 7' 4-8lb. Also, the cork rear grip was put on with 5 min epoxy and was reamed a little too big, has broken somewhat lose, and I think it is a bit too short as well.

At what point do you decide it is better to cut your losses with this blank and buy another, vice trying to re-do it and possibly damaging the blank? And when do you decide it is too much work than its worth?

Thanks,
Phil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is it worth it?
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 04:11PM

I don't think there's any magic formula for deciding this. I still have the very first rod I ever built, 30+ years ago. I've re-wrapped all the guides, because I hated the original colors, replaced all the guides and I'm in the process of replacing the reel seat because I screwed it up when I put it on originally. Is the cost and time really worth it? There are better blanks available now than there were then, but I happen to like the feel of this one and since it's fiberglass. It's hard to get exactly that same feel in graphite.

The question is really something that only you can answer. You can always view it as practice for when someone wants you to repair a broken guide.

As for damaging the blank, if the grip is already loose, you probably won't damage the blank removing it, just be careful cutting off the guides.

I build only fly rods so I can't really comment on the guide sizes, but they do sound a bit on the large side. If you do decide to rebuild it, go the library page and get the article on the New Concept Guide system.

Good luck and I wish I was in Charlotte.

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 04:15PM

Phil,
I would say that if you like the rod you are thinking about redoing then and your really like the feel of it ,then you should repair it the right way and go fishing. Now if you don't like this blank then it's not worth your time to repair it as you can just give it to a kid along the shore or keep it for a friend when they forget there fishing rod let them use it.

Good Wraps,
Neal Cissel
Neal's Fishing Products
neal@nealsfishngtackle.com
www.nealsfishingtackel.com

Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: February 25, 2005 04:15PM

Phil, a quick answer.
I vote for 25,20,16,10,7,7,6,6,6 tiptop
Course theres much more to it.

Good Wrappin !
David A. Fuller,
Great Basin Fishing Rods
Full-Time RV'r Traveling- n- Fishing
www.mytripjournal.com/FullersBigAdventure

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 04:23PM

Having only re-done a couple of rods, I cannot offer any "expert" advice. However, the labor involved in the refurbishing was much more involved than in building an entirely new rod. So, I just decided I would only work on new rods, if I could help it.

That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to re-do a rod that had extreme sentimental value to me.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.avci.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 06:08PM

Phil

A mechanic does not become really good by just putting engines together. He gets good by taking them apart first, fixing them and then putting them back together.

Do yourself a favor and rebuild the rod, if for no other reason than what you will learn by the process. You might just find the rod you thought you were building in the first place when you rebuild it.

Whatever, you will come away with knowledge and some additional understanding of rod building.

I say do it.

Posted by: Mark Gordon (12.38.201.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 06:30PM

I rebuilt one of my Dad's old rods one day. First rod I ever built -- I figured if I was gonna screw it up -- might as well do it on some cheapo thing. I learned a ton taking it apart and putting it back together. Funny thing bout it now -- I love the rod and wouldn't part with it. I practiced some butt wraps and weaves. Somewhere on the board you will find a thread on how I refinished the blank itself -- may not be applicable to the work you are doing but worth the read if you are refinishing as well. I'd also say - do it and have fun.

Mark

Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 06:41PM

I've stripped one rod and rebuilt it (it was my first). While it was a LOT of work I don't regret doing it. I like the rod (like it much better now as my first wraps were pretty crude) and I really gained a lot of confidence - that I can remove and replace guides and wraps as they wear out.
Good luck,
Greg

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2005 06:43PM by Greg Mitchell.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 07:45PM

Phil,

I'm pretty much a newbie here also, but I've learned a ton from this board ( thanks Tom). I don't know if you've read any of my post's, I'll spare the details, but I have no income right now (disabled). I can't afford to buy new blanks, so I'm practicing by stripping old blanks that I've had laying around for years. Thanks to the gracious people on this board, who donated supplies, I have built my nephew a nice rod from one of those blanks. I'm in the process of building one for by brother for his birthday, and my wife so we can trout fish together. I will tell you that if anything else the rod is worth rebuilding for the practice.

Bill in WV

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:34PM

Looking at your guide set up, yes it is worth it. You can go a lot smaller and get a better performing rod.
Check out the Library page for how to set up your guides with the Fuji Concept System. You will get a nicer rod.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 26, 2005 09:19AM

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to strip it and re-build it. I built this one before I had hear any of the "New Guide Concepts" about 3.5-4 years ago. The long blank made it easy to cast for rainbow trout from the shore, set the rod down on the pier, and still have the tip high enough in the air to see without looking down.

We'll see how she turns out.
Phil

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.216.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 26, 2005 12:14PM

I would think ( depending on reel and line path ) 3 transition guides, then 6's on out. Also depends on any knots you have to pass though the tip top?
I take the spool off the reel and use the shaft as a guide for the line path

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster