I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Missed Opportunity
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 25, 2005 07:49AM

Something popped into my head last night that I had forgotten about. My early forays into rod building were made easier because one of the first rod building blank catalogs I ever received had a couple pages of rod building instructions within. Several companies included a page or two of such instructions in their blank catalogs for a few years - Fenwick and Lamiglas for sure. Now, nobody does. At least none of the blank catalogs I've seen in the past decade (or more) have any rod building instructions whatsoever.

With an industry that is crying out for new rod builders (customers) it would seem to only make sense to make basic rod building instruction part of their blank catalogs. What better way to get this information into the hands of potential builders than by providing it at no charge, in the very catalogs that list the blanks.

I'm going to bounce this off all the blank makers in Charlotte this afternoon. I think it's an opportunity that is being completely overlooked.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Missed Opportunity
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.68.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 07:52AM

Mud Hole's catalog has them.

Posted by: alan hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 08:28AM

Mudhole has the instructions there, but there are also some points that need to be made to first time builders like myself. I had found a couple of instances where it would have been more clear to myself if they would have more in depth. I know they dont want to make the whole ctalog up with instructions but there a couple of instances where they could have said something and they didnt. Like with the kits they sell one kit has single foot guides the other has 2 foot guides, It would have been nice if they would have mentioned what way the single foot guides point. Another point would be what thread is used for what, they send along black size d thread and metalic size a thread ,didnt know which thread to use for what. I wont say no more , but if you want a person to get off on the right foot then please help them get started the right way, it certinatly is more enjoyable when its done right.

Date: February 25, 2005 08:43AM

Learn like the rest of us did Tral and error.
There are so many places for you to learn. Take one cheap rod, build it, take it apart, then build it again.
As you build you will learn
This site Tom's book and many others, vidio's other sites???

Date: February 25, 2005 08:44AM

You getting Tom's magizine??

Posted by: stanford yerger (---.157.53.61.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:03AM

Bill , you must know someone as I'v been trying to get a
Mude Hole catalog for three years.
With Tom's book, that's all you really need.
Good post Tom, Stan

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:05AM

I agree with you Tom. The first rod I ever built was a 10 foot surf rod with the help of a Fenwick rod catalog. I still have that catalog in my files. Gudebrod, I believe also provided a rod building text, which was helpful to a newbie. Have a good time.
Cheers, Ellis

Date: February 25, 2005 09:17AM

The guys are trying to sell parts!!?? Put building a fishing rod in your search engine -- you will get so much info!! All the text in the world will not teach you how to build--you need to DO!

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:20AM

Tom,

I think they are missing the boat by not giving guide setup info on their blanks. Most of the companys not only sell blanks but sell components too. In describing their blanks they could give a couple of guides setups too. Example - Our XYB123 fly blank with our ABG guides in #10 stripper and 4 #4, 3 #3 and #2 #1 along with an ABT 6-5 top would make a great Trout rod. Something like that.

I think it have builders (especilly new builders) buying suggested components instead of them going to say Fuji or REC components (I'm not siggesting people not buy Fuji/REC products just using them as examples).

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Date: February 25, 2005 09:31AM

If you need suggestions for guides to use on a certain rod blank, go to a site like St Croix's.
BUT remember, they are only suggestions and the Blank tells you how many and where to put them. You still have to buy more then you need in order to have enough . Then after building a while and wrighting down your own charts, then you have an idea of what to use and where they Possible go? No two blanks flex the same even the same models, so you still have to test
What happens when you put your epoxy on and you get a reaction?? Do you know how to fix it?? This has to be learned for experince

Date: February 25, 2005 09:36AM

I got one for ya, ask what guides to use on a certain rod?? See how many builders tell you how many different guides each one has used> Each set up worked for him - but may not work on yours
Or just get a ( off the shelf rod )
Got to do your home work!!

Date: February 25, 2005 09:38AM

Sorry guys --- I'm just in a Mood Today

can not go to the show - and that S__ks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2005 09:42AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 01:04PM

i think tom is referring to the blank companies themselves, not distributors of all types of components from a super emporium of different companies' products like mudhole. it WOULD be nice, from my point of view of course, if my pac bay, batson, lamiglas, diamondback, etc catalogs included such information.

i think there is a sizeable population out there which orders the lamiglas (or any other rod company) hardcopy catalog but has no idea internet sources like this web site or others exist. i imagine the thought of building their own rod hasn't even popped into their mind. the fact that companies like diamondglass, lamiglas, etc, offer BLANKS is usually not highlighted as much as the complete rod and that cool stylized photo of it in use which invariably accompanies catalogs. and web sites.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.24.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 02:38PM

All I know is if every one knows how to build a rod, then ya might as well Keep This A Hobby?? That does not benefit me, just the suppliers on this board

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.148.8.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 03:28PM

If you want to see somthing funny, call AFTCO Mfg. You know, the guys that make the roller guides, and ask them for a guide spacing chart, Or better yet, just ask them what the spacing should be ....
THEY DO NOT HAVE ONE.. No one in their engineering department can give me an answer, let alone a simple guide placement chart.

Tight lines guys,,, and ENJOY the week-end !!!!!!!!!

Art

Posted by: Anonymous User (63.146.104.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 03:44PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry guys --- I'm just in a Mood Today
>
> can not go to the show - and that S__ks
>
> ya reakon??
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 02/25/05 09:42AM by
> bill boettcher.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.3.207.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 03:48PM

Ya but a little common sence and you can place them on a blank! Or if you find a similar rod, and see if you can find the specks. Does not have to be the same company>

Date: February 25, 2005 03:50PM

Ya all have a nice time at the show

Date: February 25, 2005 03:58PM

Ya I reakon John

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 05:14PM

Bill , I have some pills for your delema .............. and I do agree with you as far as putting some leg work into hands on . Do the research in text , then go to it , somtimes the only way to learn is to make mistakes . Reminds me of a guy I used to hang out with that called me when he heard I built rods . He wanted some instruction .............. " you have made all the mistakes , so you can show me the right way to do it " . I showed him how to wrap 1 guide , gave him Toms book , and sent him on his way with a cardboard box............... the same way I learned . He called me a week later and gave me 75 clams to "straiten out" his $150 blank and $50 REC seat. Who made all the mistakes now? , all he had to do was ask me in a civilized maner and I would have done it for nothing .........
Guess I'm feeling left out of the show too ?? Sorry , JHD

Got Fish ?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster