I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Bond
Posted by: Fred Duncan (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 06:49AM

Men, I'm old school rod builder. I've read good reports on this forum about this product. I received my RB yesterday and have never seen epoxy in a cream form before. My question is, since syinges cannot be used, how do you guys mix it in equal parts? What in? Is it forgiving if not mixed 100% equally? Thansk, Cap'n

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Bond
Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.243.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 06:54AM

I've seen guys use syringes. Big veternary ones. Some guys use measuring spoons. But quite honestly it is very forgiving and you don't need to get a perfect ratio. I use a spatula and mix by eye. I've never had a batch not set up. I always keep my left over sitting out so I can check its hardness to know when the rod is ready.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.b.001.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 25, 2005 06:59AM

Just go by eye Fred it is pretty forgiving, I used small measuring spoons and they where too messy and you always had to clean them up afterwards. I use Rod Bond when I make pilot bits (flexcoat style arbor bits) and usually I am only mixing a very very small quantity and they always dry rock hard and cop some real hard work reaming cork grips with them and never had the expoxy soften even when they get quiet hot.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.68.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 07:29AM

I use popsicle sticks. Just put equal emounts on some thing and mix - very forgiving -

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 07:50AM

I used to use the measuring spoons also, then learned it wasn't necessary, and like Bill, I use popsicle sticks, two for each use, eyeball it, blend on a piece of aluminum foil, throw everything away away after, though I leave the foil and sticks out overnight to make sure everything cures (it does). Good stuff.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.68.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 07:54AM

I mix on my printing paper

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:26AM

Agreed on the popsickle sticks. Just put a blob of each on a mixing palette. I use whatever I have laying around...usually a piece of cardboard box that I had parts shipped in. Really easy stuff to use.

Jay

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:56AM

I use the large veternary syringes because it is an easy method to store the epoxy and apply similar amounts for mixing but as all are saying the ratio for mixing Rod Bond is not as critical as it is for epoxy finishes.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Kirk Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 11:18AM

Personally I use a stainless steel measuring spoon. They are fairly easy to clean up. Now I will warn that I use acetone to clean them up with. After reading some previous post's on the dnagers of acetone I may change that. It sounds as though you you don't have to be super precise on the measuring though. I have also heard of people using a large syringe. You can just load it up, and store it in the syringes. Sounds like you really have to try to mess up with this stuff though. Aswith any epoxy I would follow the rule of leaving the leftovers out to dry. It is alway s nice to know you have a cure.

Posted by: Clyde Dent (---.cjrw.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 11:25AM

I get my Rod Bond mixing utensils at McDonald's. I call the plastic knives, Mac Mix Stix.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.191.51.209.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 11:54AM

All you need to clean up whatever you use to measure Rod Bond is denatured/rubbing alcohol and a paper towel. Stay away from acetone it is bad stuff!!

Bob

Posted by: Joe Milligan (---.nas9.tucson1.az.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 12:35PM

From the man who knows the most about this product:

Ralph O'Quinn in Rodmaker 5 #5

"One of the reasons that paste epoxies give many people trouble is that they mix them wrong. We never stir the paste epoxies in an open cup as we do with other liquids. Paste epoxies are ALWAYS measured out onto a flat surface. A small piece or cardboard works fine. ....take the spatula and sweep both portions across the cardboard surface as though you were spreading butter on toast. Scrape up the spread out mass, than spread out again. Do this 3 or 4 times and you have a thoroughly mixed, bubble free, paste adhesive ready for doing its thing."

FYI

Joe Milligan

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 12:42PM

Are you guys talking about U-40 Rod Bond?

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 12:57PM

yup, U40 Rod Bond. i too, like clyde, use leftover plastic utensils, generally the knife form, sometimes spoon, or i break off the end of a fork, or those REALLY cool inventions, the spoon/fork hybrid thingie. i should use popsicle sticks i gues, more environmentally friendly, but at elast i'm reusing the plastic stuff, and how environmentally friendly can small amounts of rod bond be anyway?

i just eyeball amounts of each and spread over and over for a minute or two on flattened foil.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 01:00PM

I use the measuring spoon method, it has worked well for me. Then I mix on a piece of cardboard that is covered with Aluminum foil. So far so good.

Tony

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.avci.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 06:17PM

Popsicle sticks. Buy them by the bag. One for each part. Eyeball equal amounts of each and the last stick is used to fold the two parts together on aluminum foil. The stick is then used for the application. When I'm done with the sticks, they lay on any unused on the foil and get thrown away when hard.

Posted by: Robert McIvor (142.176.162.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 06:38PM

I also use popsicle sticks, I mix it on cardboard. I have lots of that from the orders I get. Have yet to have a problem with it. I use it for assembling reel seats and puting them on the blank and I also use it for glueing cork rings.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster