I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Salmon Rod on a Budget??
Posted by: Ben Stacy (---.dhcp.uaf.edu)
Date: February 24, 2005 04:13PM

I built my first fly rod this winter and can't wait to test it on the grayling here in Fairbanks, AK. Now that I have down the basics of building a rod, I'm wanting to build a rod for Kenai Kings. I need a blank that can handle these bad boys, but I'm on a limited budget. I've checked all the usual suspects, but I'm not really ready to spend $150 on a blank when I can buy the completed rod for $160 locally. I have found South Bend Trophy Tamer rods for around $59, which is more within my price range. So I was thinking if the rod is only $59 finished, how much is the blank and where can I get it? Can anyone give me some direction?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salmon Rod on a Budget??
Posted by: Anonymous User (206.73.5.---)
Date: February 24, 2005 04:21PM

Ben,

When you see a store rod from a non manufacturer for under $80, you should begin to suspect that the blank is from overseas. I'd bet the farm on it for that one. Usually you can count on cheap components and sub par workmanship. Most of the time the blanks are not available to the public.

That said, there are a good many blanks out there that should fit your budget. For what you want, you need a tough blank with a lot of power down low. A lower modulus blank may be in order cause I'm sure you're going to beat that rod up a bit. In a fly rod I'm sure you're talking a 10 wt at least, more likely a 12 if you're shorebound. I'm pretty sure that Forecast makes a 9' 12 wt that should work for you. Jann's carries the old Amtak IMG/IM6 in a 12 wt I think. Tiger Eye, Rainshadow, and Pac Bay would all make really good rods too for a little more money.

For components, it is tough to beat Amtak/Pac Bay/Forecast components for performance versus price.

All told you should look to have about $80 tied up in this rod if you go Forecast with forecast components.

Thanks,
Rick

Date: February 24, 2005 04:32PM

Thanks Rick,

I should have been a bit more specific with my question. I'm needing a trolling / back bouncing / hot shot rod for the Kings. The Kenai Kings are tougher on tackle than most other King salmon, so larger equipment is needed. I was using borrowed equipment last year and would like to have my own stuff this year. Could I possibly use a fiberglass blank?

Ben

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-199-74-155.myvzw.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 04:41PM

Look at Calstar (E-Glass) fiberglass blanks (MudHole carries them). I have built a few for trolling leadcore for rainbows and browns. They have a soft tip but they will have all the backbone you need. The 7 footers I used were probably too light for you. They were in the 12-20 pound class and retailed in the $50 range. Their most expensive E-glass blank is still under $65 so you should be able to find one that works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2005 04:50PM by Andrew Petroski.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.san.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 04:55PM

Go to Mudhole and check out the Cascade Composite blanks. They used to manufacture for Batson - so these were intended to carry the Rainshadow label. They (Cascade) are getting out of the blank buisness and for whatever reason Batson did not buy these. Mudhole scooped them up and are sellig them at a great price - I just finished building a downrigger rod for BC salmon ( they have a series specifically for use in downriggers if thats what you need) and I'm so pleased with it I have ordered another. Good lluck. BTY I paid $ 55.00 for mine

Posted by: Nick Dazer (204.200.228.---)
Date: February 24, 2005 05:03PM

What Jerry said. I just looked at Mudhole.com, and this is the blank I would get if I were you:

Cascade Composites Salmon/Steelhead rods:

CHS1025F 8' 6" 2 HVY X/Fast 15-30 lb 6 .625 $ 53.79

I've built 2 rods (a steelhead rod and a salmon rod) on these blanks and they're pretty nice. PS- I went to college at UAF. Tell Adam at the Blue Loon that I said hello!

-Nick Dazer

Posted by: Craig Campbell (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 08:05PM

If you're going to be doing a little heavier trolling (2# balls, etc), I might opt for all-glass, or at most a M/MH, parabolic mod-action composite. Maybe I'm conservative, but I might also be as poor as you, too... So I'd be a little leery using all-graphite for a heavier application like that. MudHole sold out of the heavy Cascade saltwater composite rods... They have the 7'8" SWS540 (15-25#) which may be a little light, but elsewhere you might find the CSWS696 (20-40# ~8') or CSW1088 (20-30# ~9') both maybe under $60 or so, if you look hard enough. Not sure if those are too fast action for your salmon up there, but it could be worth a google to you. Otherwise, good glass blanks for $50 are pretty abundant. I would definitely not limit your search to South Bend, either. Good luck!

Craig

Date: February 24, 2005 08:18PM

I'm looking a bit closer at the glass rods and like what I'm seeing. Thanks for all the info.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 08:37PM

Ben,
You are asking an awful lot of a rod to be able to troll, back bounce and pull plugs,especially on the Kenai. I do not think that you can get one rod to do all three, two out of three maybe but not all three. Your biggest problem is that a plug rod should have a relatively light tip so that you can see the plus action but a powerful butt while a back bouncing rod should have almost the opposite characteristics. In a back bouncing rod you want more power in the tip, slower action, so that it is easy to lift the back bouncing weight, plus you do not want a rod that is too long for back bouncing, it is a question of leverage. You will wear yourself out using a plug rod for back bouncing. A trolling rod will be somewhere in the middle.
I would not go to glass for either back bouncing or pulling plugs because of the loss in sensitivity. Glass is fine for trolling. I think that Nick's suggestion for a plug rod is a good one but I would look at something like the Rainshadow SWS597 which is a graphite/glass composite or the SW967 which is a intermediate modulus graphite. They are both a bit shorter, more moderate action and they are less expensive.

Posted by: Craig Campbell (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 09:40PM

Emory is right on - the SWS597 would serve you well... But if its slightly lighter brother, the SWS540, would work for you, you can pick it up at Mudhole for $40 plus shipping. I should have mentioned the price in my original post.

Edit: In fact, you can pick up a decent inexpensive glass blank there, ship them together, and build both rods... And then take them both out with you, so if you change up tackle mid-trip, you're prepared.

Have fun!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2005 10:56PM by Craig Campbell.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 02:16AM

By the time you add your components and finish you well have nearly a hundred into your rod, and that’s not using top components either. A finished rod that sells for 59 dollars well not last a season on the Kenie. If I were you I would contact Anglers WorkShop in WA State and talk to John. What is going to kill you is shipping and handling cost no matter who you buy from. You might get hold of Mick Batson at Utmost Ent. in Squim WA Mick is related to the Batson Co. Mick deals with over stock and discontinued rod components and blanks. His phone number is (360)681-8758
Good Wraps Bob PS you have a hidden email address

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 02:33AM

Ben, You might take a look at some of the sponsors who offer blemished blanks that are discounted heavily, to find one or two blanks to suit your needs. Fish Sticks 4 U, among others offer blanks to suit your budget. Do a google search for capt tom white. He offers a variety of rods. If Fairbanks doesn't have a custom rod shop, 3 Rivers Tackle in Wasilla offer St Croix and Pac Bay blems for $15.00 a whack. I've got a whole bunch of 'em sitting in the corner of my den, just waiting to get my time and attention. Emory is right on target regarding a one rod to fish all conditions. It just doesn't happen here in Alaska, and the Kenai and those great big Kings just don't suffer wimpy rods. If you look hard enough, you can get a rod, grips, reel seat, and guides for well under 100 bucks.
Good luck.

Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.68.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:57AM

Also check out Mud Holes specials

Posted by: Kirk Miller (---.gci.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 11:44AM

Ben,
I can understand your dilema on picking out a rod for the Kenai. I am in Anchorage and although I don't fish for kings on the Kenai too often, I have mulled it over in my head quite a few times, what the perfect rod would be for a Kenai king. I would reccomend staying away from the Hot Shot style blanks. The tip of that sytle rod is a bit too soft imo for fishing Kenai Kings. You have to remember your fishing in a strong river with strong fish. I spoke with Bill Batson (of Rainshadow) on this very issue one day and he agreed. I would also reccomend staying away from the lower end shelf rods for much of the same reason. Big Fish, and strong waters put a demand on rods that the average munufactor does not allow for in his designs. Fiberglass or some of the composite rods may not be a bad way to go. You will be giving up on some sensitivity with those styles. That really shouldn't be an issue unless you are planning on using egg/bait of some type. THen you want to be able to feel every little bump for when the kings come up and mouth the bait. There is a lot to consider and many variables. One thing I will remind you, I can understand being on a budget, but you get what you pay for. I have said this time and time again. When I started building rods my friends thought I was nuts for spending that much on a rod. They are of the mindset that if you get a season out of a rod you are doing good. Well long story short I still have the first rod I built, and use it on a regular basis. They have all gone through a few rods since then. I guess what I am trying to say is build what you need, not what you can afford. I don't think you can go wrong spending a little extra on a rod up here in Alaska. There is nothing more frustrating trudging back up to the car to get your backup rod, or even worse sittiing and watching your buddies fish because you broke your rod. When you decide what your going to build let me know. I am curious to see what your decision is.

Kirk

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 02:05PM

Ben,
Kirk's advice sounds like excellent advice to me. Plus he is right there he should know.

Posted by: Ben Stacy (137.229.22.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 08:10PM

Thanks again guys. I do have alot to consider.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster