I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double wraping
Posted by: Daniel Rotea (---.58.38.42.proxycache.rima-tde.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 02:05PM

OK, I'm goint to make my first double wraping and I want to be sure of all steps:

1. Underwrap with size A silver thread
2. A coat of Color Preserver or lite finish WHICH ONE?
3. Overwrap with size D metallic blue thread
4. Color preserver?
5. Lite finish?
6. High build finish?

I've read that most of you use CP even if not necessary. I also think coat after underwrap is just to make easier the second wrap. Is it better CP or lite finish then?. How long must I leave CP and fnish to dry?

Please confirm before I'll make mistakes on this!!

Thanks,

Daniel

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2005 02:35PM by Daniel Rotea.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double wraping
Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 04:03PM

No need for CP using metallics. No need to use size D thread.

1) Do your underwrap as normal with A thread.
2) Put a coat of finish on, then with a credit card scrape off all the finish you can as the rod is rotating.
3) Let dry for 24 hours
4) Wrap your guides on with a thread.
5) Finish the guide wraps only. Put it on heavy and let it soak in the tunnells good. Now take it off again with the credit card.
6) Let dry 24 hours
7) Finish entire wrap & let dry 3 days prior to fishing.

This is time consumeing but it works well. The thread will be fully saturated under the guide feet whic will help alleviate cracking.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: February 24, 2005 05:04PM

Daniel you are right about the CP being used to only seal the underwrap in this case. It will make it easier to wrap the guides, but I prefer a light build finish. Be sure to wick off all the excess as only a thin coat is needed. You may do your guide wraps in either A or D thread...it's up to you. Depending on the finish you use you may wrap your guides as soon as 8 hours after epoxying the underwraps (maybe even 6 hours if the conditions are right). Some finishes take longer to set (Aftcote) and will require longer. I usually don't have a problem wrapping over LS after 8-12 hours.

Jay

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 05:39PM

Hi Daniel - You can do any and all of the above. I use CP on the under wrap and over wrap but buy no means is it mandatory. Doing the underwrap with a lite coat of finish allows you to wrap A over with ease. All these methods work, just pick one and if you are not satisfied with the outcome then try something else next time. The Key is dont fix it if it aint broken. Find something that works for you and keep doing it until it breaks. The way you described it sounds like you watched my video on rod building. The way you layed it out has satisfied a lot of folks out west.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 07:29PM

Hello Daniel,
Check your e-mail.
Cheers, Ellis

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.68.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 25, 2005 08:59AM

If you are using matalics for the under wrap, you could put a varnish or permagloss on. The permagloss drys faster and harder and is nice to wrap over

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster