I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lighting: for wrapping & finishing rods
Posted by: Tom Goodner (---.sttl.dial.netzero.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 10:01PM

Hello there!
Getting a little long in the tooth, my eyes ain't what they used to be. The last few years, it seems that I wait for weekend mornings to do the vast majority of my rod wrapping, as well as finishing....especially since I don't have a good light source that will allow me to do this in the evenings after work. Hey, I'm just a hobby/personal/family/friend rod wrapper, but I still build a few rods a year, & this just isn't all that productive.

I know this has probably been beat around in the past, but please let me know if some of the newer lights out there, like Daylight or Ott, really make a big difference for you in your rod wrapping & finishing. If so, what wattage & design works the best for you (twin straight bulbs, circular bulb, magnifier built into the circular bulb housing or the separate magnifier you see with some of the straight bulb setups). I'd really appreciate your feedback!

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lighting: for wrapping & finishing rods
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.nas6.portland1.or.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 10:13PM

I have a Ott clamp on light that works great for me. Instead of a magnifier attatched to the light I use magnifying glasses. Below is a link to the light I use.

Bob

[www.save-on-crafts.com]

Posted by: Larry Laurent (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 10:29PM

I use two 4 foot flourescent light fixtures, each with two 40 watt daylight bulbs. I have them hung from the ceiling just high enough above my work area so I don't hit my head on them.
I suppose one 8 foot fixture would do, but the 4 foot bulbs are cheaper.

Larry

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 12:15AM

I use Larry's type of lighting and I had my Eye Doc make me a set of glasses just for thread work
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 01:03AM

I have exactly the same setup as Larry.

Kerry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.186.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 08:08AM

Get a fly tying lamp with the magnifier lens. Works great, make the thread look like rope

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 08:24AM

I use two cheap gooseneck lamps behind my station, each with a 60 W regular bulb, and get them real close to the work. Makes a difference, the closer the better.

Posted by: Dale Richardson (139.72.158.---)
Date: February 24, 2005 08:44AM

I'm with Tom. Two goosneck lamps behind the wrapper. Makes it real easy to direct the light on the work from two different angles, close up.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 08:47AM

Tom,
I am also a little long in the tooth with eyes that are not what they used to be. Your eye works a lot like a camera. The more light that you have the more the iris opens up and the more depth of field you have and the easier it is to focus. In my judgement you almost can not have too much light when working on rods particularly when wrapping. Well I guess if you started to get sun burned that would be too much. Seriously, I have a set up simular to that described by Kerry and Larry, two 4 bulb, 40 watt, fluorescent fixtures directly over my bench but even that is not enough sometimes when doing fine detailed work and I bring in close an additional incandescent lamp with a 100 watt bulb.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 09:16AM

Emory, I'm with you on most of that, but a small technical correction: the iris of the eye closes, not opens up, with more light. That closing, as with a camera lens, increases depth of field.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 09:58AM

Tom,
You are absolutely correct. That was stupid of me. Thanks for the LARGE technical correction.

Posted by: Dick Murchison (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 11:55AM

I have a flourescent light above me, and set a little forward of my work station. I personally like the warm white bulbs instead of the cool white (most common type of flourescent) bulb. To me, the warm white is a more natural light. I feel that the bulb in my magnifier that I use for fly tying does not give me the light I like. It is good for fly tying because I know exactly what I am tying for flies. I use the magnifier on the light though, without the light. Just my opinion of what I do. Hopes this helps.

Posted by: Tom Goodner (---.sttl.dial.netzero.com)
Date: February 24, 2005 10:23PM

Thank you all for the responses!

I definitely need to work on the lighting in my work area!

Tom

Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: February 25, 2005 07:38AM

I use the Daylight lamps. You would not believe how well those lights work for getting a true white light. I have the table top model with a magnifying glass attachment. Have not had to use the magnifying glass yet, but will be needing to start using it sometime soon I think.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 25, 2005 09:57AM

Mine might be overdone, but my workroom, about 9 x 12, has an ceiling mounted 4 fot flourescent fixture, one wall has a 200w halogen bulb near the ceiling and I have two cheap gooseneck lights mounted on the workbench with 100w GE Reveal bulbs in each. I use the same type of magnifier that Bob Crook uses.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster