I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thoughts and Thanks
Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 08:25PM

At my sobering age of nearly 70 and having been introduced to rod building by my son in law some 30 years ago and building more than my share of rods since that time began, I have to say that I never thought rod building would have the kind of show that it's getting ready to have in North Carolina this weekend. The bass fishermen and fly fishermen and boaters all have these type shows but rod builders have never had anything like this. I had almost given up on anything like this for rod building in my lifetime.

A recent bout of fly and an ailing wife will keep me away this year. But I want to thank Tom Kirkman for his hard work in setting this up for the rod building world and the people at the show promoter for taking a chance on rod building. I also want to thank all the fine rod builders who are giving demonstrations and seminars there this weekend. You know who you are. I want to thank those in charge for keeping the admission price low so anyone can afford it. I want to thank all the dealers and manufacturers who are traveling in to display and make Christmas come early for so many rod builders.

I won't be there but I know the planning and work have been going on for almost a year now. Even if it's not perfect and even if there are some snags I have to say that seeing what is being done for rod builders at this show makes an old rod builder teary eyed. You young builders try not to take for granted what you're going to experience this weekend. Go back just a couple years and there was nothing like this for us. Build on this and keep it going and maybe I'll join you all next year. But thanks to all who made this great show a reality. We've needed something like this for a long time. Thanks to those who finally made it possible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts and Thanks
Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 08:29PM

That should read a recent bout of "flu" not "fly" But I guess that would be pretty bad too.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 11:41PM

Henry,
I will sure second that. I think that you are absolutely right that we owe a debt to those that have worked on the show especially Tom. And all of us, even those that do not attend, will in the long run benefit from it.

Posted by: Art Shue (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 24, 2005 09:50AM

Another thank you for those who kept the admission price low. I'm only an occasional rod builder and probably wouldn't have considered driving up 3 hours if the cost to get in had been much more than the advertised $12. Not that it wouldn't be worth much more, but many of us are only hobbyist builders and only have an afternoon to browse or see certain things. At $12 it's a no brainer but if it was $25 or $30 or something, I'd probably skip it. I no that doesn't sound like a lot but for many of us it probably means the difference between going or not going.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster