I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

matching up a thread color
Posted by: Dan Colville (---.buf.adelphia.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 03:24PM

Hey guys. I just got a blue 8'6 4 wt blank. What color thread and trim would you run on this blank?
Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: matching up a thread color
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 03:52PM

Someone recently asked a similar question - though he wanted to stay mostly blue. There were some good answers. Click on [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2005 03:56PM by Tom Doyle.

Posted by: Josh Martineau (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 05:57PM

I've onle done one blue rod. I used Royal Blue with silver trim bands.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 06:14PM

I have a Batson RX6 blank on the way and am planning to do it with Metallic Royal Blue and silver trim bands.

Posted by: Mark Gordon (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 08:01PM

B;ue and silver go well as will black as a neutral color. However the shade of blude should drive your decision on the complimentary or contrasting colors. I am build a rod now - its a gray blank but the colors might be similar;

The butt wrap design;
A variant of Number 38 (Custom Rod Thread Art); Inner boxes metallic royal blue and silver; outer box black surrounded by a metallic silver box
The to close the wrap using a diamond wrap pattern - I used bright yellow center band with outer bands of red surrounded by metallic royal blue and closed by black. The yellow/red combo (which is a split complimentary) looks orange which is a complementary color to blue.

The lower butt is finish in black and royal blue with one wrap of yellow / red surrounded by metallic blue with thin trim bands of silver.

When turned in the light -- the wrap at tims looks silver and then turns to blue.

I had orginally finished the upper and lower wraps in a silver/blue trimar which gave the wrap a wintery look. I decided uding so much trimar might not be a good thing so opted for the Blue on black. If finished mostly in silver -- it gave the rod a cool winter look -- in blue/black gives it a cool/bright classic style. So colors really have an impact.

One tool I have that I never thought I would use is the Dial-A-Color I purchased from Mudhole. It provides hints on Complementary, monochromatic, analogous, traidic color schemes. It provides "hints" as it really lacks all the colors that you may want to use. But it was realy helpful in assisting me in final color selection.

I has tried to dump in a cobolt blue -- but it was just to much to work it in -- sometimes simple -- is best.

On the blue rod -- I'd go with something that is complementary or contrast to the blank so the colors will stand out and bring the rod alive. Note it took me a couple of weeks of off an on working the colors to work something I though would be unique but look great. The Blue/Silver and black is always a safe choice.

Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster