I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alternatives to Epoxy
Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.or.charter.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 10:49AM

To all,

I read with great interest the thread about reactions to epoxy....As I have gotten to the point where I cannot have ANY epoxy come in contact with my skin.

It is most problematic with milling my grips.

I've been considering the use of polyurathane adhesives for my cork ring assembly, and am wondering if any professional builders have had extended experiance with it's use for this application ?

I do know of a few mfgrs. that now use this adhesive for this application, and they report favorable results.

The words of caution given in a past post should seriously be taken to heart.... As for some of us, our common rod building epoxies can be very nasty indeed !!!!!!!

Bob Meiser

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alternatives to Epoxy
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2005 10:57AM

The only drawback to some of the poly adhesives is that you need to wet the mating surfaces (not a big deal) and they can stain or leave a dark glue line if you don't clamp them properly.

I use Titebond III for my cork ring glue-up now. Great stuff. Although I still use epoxy to adhere the grip to the blank.

Date: February 23, 2005 11:10AM

Thanks Tom,

I have always built my grips ring-on-ring directly to the blank as an entire assembly, and mill the entire assembly as a unit.....As you know two handers have long grip assemblies, much like your surf rods.

Do you use epoxy to bond the grip because you feel that the Titebond III will not sufficiently bond to the blank ?

How long does Titebond III take to cure ?

This adhesive may be my salvation....};^)....!!!

Bob Meiser

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 11:16AM

Erik and Lou in the previous article were right on about building sensitivities to certain chemicals after repeated use. We lost a well know blank manufacturer here on the west coast because he just finally couldnt be near the resin.

As for an alternate Jean Harrington of Harrington rods used to use Stabond which is a popular west coast rubber type cement. Sounds similar to the Titebond mentioned above. Same problems though, Clamp it tight and clean it up quick, but no problem holding. She also used it to attach the cork to the rod. Warning if you use Stabond it contains acetone and should be used in an open area. We have all heard and read volumes about acetone which by itself can cause dermititis. I sugges what ever you use READ the label, if you have built a sensitivity to Epoxy you might be set up for more. Has anyone tried Elmers? I know it is water clean up but once it dries won't it hold? Justa thought

Date: February 23, 2005 11:17AM

Or Tom...Perhaps better said:

The source of information generated from your site may AGAIN be my salvation...Thanks !!!

Bob Meiser

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 11:50AM

The best glue I have found for gluing cork rings is Weldwood Plastic Resin. Works great, doesn't leave any hard rings, and cleans up with water.

Date: February 23, 2005 01:17PM

OK..

Just spent the last hour or so speaking with a tech. rep. from Excel products.

This is a company that specializes in Poly-U based adhesives for a broad range of commercial applications.

My greatest concern with the poly adhesives was not so much their ability to bond porus to porus, but their ability to bond porus to non-porus.

....Also..... Their ability to hold under long term, continuous flexing <> Inherent to our rod blanks.

They have recommended a product called Excell 50-50 : A combination silicon and Poly-U based adhesive that has shown success in both bonding porus to non-porus, and long term flexability that will not "powder" as foam Poly-Us will tend to do over years of flex.

It is a slow cure adhesive, somewhat heavy in viscosity, and leaves a zero glue line when cramped.

It is not UV affected, and is 100% water proof.

All and all this may be a viable alternative adhesive to epoxies for grip assembly, as it does have a history of success in similar regards.

Samples are on the way, and we'll start a field testing process with this adhesive.

Bob Meiser....RB Meiser Fly Rods

Posted by: Al Wasser (---.clsp.qwest.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 02:29PM

FYI-- The current issue of Fine Woodworking has a write up on glues. They talk about the various heath issues with the various glue. You might want to take a look at it at your favorite news stand. Sorry but they don't talk about how the glues are used in rod building but worth a look at any rate, especially if one has alergy problems to fumes, etc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster