I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

That old spine question again
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.sjo1-4-4-016-202.sjo1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 12:28AM

I am new to building so do I have this right. I get two thumps as I rotate the rod as in garcias book.The fist bump is the soft side or the spine.The second bump really hits harder and the rod flexes into that resting point with more verve. I also did the the test wre you bounce the tip of the rod on your forearm while spinning it and it lands in the same position as I marked it with the garcia formula. Do I have it? Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: That old spine question again
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2005 10:48AM

Not really, sort of, maybe. I don't know anything about "bumps." The softest and stiffest axis are rarely opposite each other.

The effective spine will be the outside of the curve when you have pressured the blank into a curve and allowed it to roll until it comes to rest in a fixed position. So I'd say that when you have the blank in that resting point with the most "verve" as you call it, the outside of that curve will be your effective spine.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 10:53AM

I dont know anything about Garcias book but it sounds like it to me. I think the simple way to explain it is picture a fish pulling down on the tip, the rod will naturally(usually) want to spin and settle in one spot - let it. Then just put the guides appropriately. There are some other factors but not a big issue for you right now. Hope it helps

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: February 23, 2005 11:22AM

It took me a long time to figure out the spine thing. All of the explanations I read left me a bit confused. I think that what Doc just said is probably the best description I have seen. I wish I had read that in the begining! Thanks Doc :)

Peter

Posted by: Dennis Gillotte (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 05:32PM

Doc...does that mean if it is a casting rod as opposed to a spinning rod you would turn it over to place the guides?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 23, 2005 10:52PM

Let me remind you that what happens when a fish pulls on a rod and what happens when you load by hand it are two entirely different things. The fish is loading it via a line that is strung through guides.

Regardless of where you put the spine, if the rod has the guides located on top, then it will want to flip over when a fish is pulling on it. You cannot defeat this by spine orientation. All rods with guides on top are inherently unstable. This is the whole point of a spiral wrap - guides must be on the bottom of the rod if you want a stable rod that will not flip or spine. And this is true whether you put the effective spine on top, bottom or to the side. Put the guides on the bottom and the rod will be stable and will not spin. Put the guides on top and the rod will want to spin, flip and/or twist. That's just the nature of the beast.

Plugging ferrule ends
Posted by: Hardy Ganong (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: March 01, 2005 01:01AM

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere and it may be unimportant or just a routine exercise for experienced rod builders. What are the pros or cons of plugging the end of the male ferrule on tip-over-butt ferrules? How is it done and with what? Some blanks have it and some don't? What's the word on this? Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster