I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

To Hook-keep or not to Hook-keep
Posted by: Mark Gordon (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 08:28PM

I am finishing up an 8' spin rod. I had purchased a folding hook-keep for it but not sure I really want to put it on the rod. None of my other rods have them (I just put the hook on a guide) but thought it would be nice to have one. But I don't like that it covers the some of butt weave and I don't want the plug, hook or lure digging into the nice weaves I have done. Regarding location -- there was one post on this board I saw that was decidely for putting it as close to the foregrip as possible. Books seem to have the same opinion.

Any issues with putting the hook on a guide-- undue guide stress/damage or line frey issues?

Thoughts / opinions on the topic? What do most of you do on your rod builds? If you don't use hook-keeps do you do what I do and just fasten the hook to a guide? Just curious.

Thanks
Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: To Hook-keep or not to Hook-keep
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.33.68.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 08:35PM

You can also use like I do, single foot wire guides for a hook keeper. Put them on with the Forham Locking wrap. They come in a lot of colors so you can match it with the guides you are using

Posted by: William Colby (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 09:20PM

Honestly I just stick the hook point in the little gap between the reel foot and reel seat hood. I just find hookkeepers to be in the way although I will use them on fly rods if the customer requests one.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 10:09PM

Bill,
I thought that I was the only one that used single footed fly guides as hook keepers. I guess nothing is really original, someone else has always thought of it first. I have been doing this for about 10 or 12 years. How long have you been doing it?

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 10:12PM

Personally I don't really like hookkeepers. They break up the look of the rod to me. I use them if asked but not on my own rods.

On my own, I use the reel, reel seat and yes, occasionaly the guide frames. Never use the guide ring. That's just asking for trouble.

If all you are worried about is marring the finish, hey.. you are a builder right? If it starts getting scuffed up after a year, give it a lite sanding and recoat with some permagloss and it'll be good as new!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.64.241.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 07:04AM

Only about Three years Emory.
I usually don't use them either. I only put them on cause I have had requests for them. Where is the hook go??!! I say on the guide upright post
They do add a little to the rod. And all the colors they are made in now
Most of the time I forget it and have to add it on

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.avci.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 07:22AM

I also find hook keepers in the way all of the time.

I have one rod that I put one the folding kind on but after two or three years took it off. Something is always tangling in it. Bigger flies go on the reel seat; little flies go on the feet of the stripping guide. Works just as well. For the past 7 or 8 years, none of my personal rods have hook keepers of any kind.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.sequimschools.wednet.edu)
Date: February 23, 2005 11:03AM

Hook keepers....ahh the look of a gob of egg juice on a nice butt wrap!!! The nice deep scratches in the signature wrap!.! The great chips and dings from a spinner blade bouncing just above the grip!!

Single foot fly guides look the best and I'll use em' if requested, but for my own rods, its hook somewhere on the reel and I'm rowing to the next hole.

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 11:42AM

Garrison would never use them after a friend of his got impaled by a tandem hook salmon fly. Theyt are useless, dangerous, and distract from the clean lines of the rod.

Posted by: Steve Bohrer (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 11:42AM

Garrison would never use them after a friend of his got impaled by a tandem hook salmon fly. Theyt are useless, dangerous, and distract from the clean lines of the rod.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 23, 2005 11:51AM

Only if I'm forced to!

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2005 11:51AM by Doug Moore.

Posted by: Nick Dazer (204.200.228.---)
Date: February 23, 2005 04:05PM

I like 'em. Putting the hook on the upright portion of a guide is OK , although that places a sharp hook very near your wraps. Of course, you can seriously damage the insert if you place the hook in the guide itself.

I have one of Emory's rods with the wire fly guide hook keeper and it works great. I don't like keeping the hook on a part of the reel, because I've found that it can dull easier (hook point rubbing against other parts of the reel).

Just my .02
Someone had to defend hook keepers!

-Nick Dazer
Portland, Oregon

Posted by: George Thurston (---.faa.gov)
Date: February 24, 2005 11:52AM

On my first few rods, I didn't keep them on, mostly because I fish w/ thumb and forefinger on blank (sensitivity - small mouth bass) and the epoxy and hook keeper both gets in the way and dampens the vibration.

Now I'm toying w/ adding one above the reel seat - out of the way of my thumb/forefinger area.

Mostly I just put the hook in one of the guide supports, never in the ceramic, and very gently reel until the lights tight, but rod doesn't bend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster