I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I messed up - need help
Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.cpe.townisp.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 08:09PM

I started placing guides on a 7'6" 4 weight fly rod. When I was looking at the chart I accidentally started my spacing for a 7' fly rod. I've currently got half the guides on. What should I do? The differences: a 7'6" should have 9 guides and the 7' should have 8 and there is about a 4.25" difference on the spacing of guide number 8 on the two rods.

Should I just slap a ninth guide on a little further down the rod or should I pull off all the guides and start over?

Thanks,
Jackie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I messed up - need help
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 08:19PM

Just wondering .... did you check your blank with any static test or just go by a pre-planned layout? If the latter I think I'd stop where I was, do a
static deflection test (see Tom's article in the Library above) to see where the rod tells you the guides should be and then decide which guides
should be moved.

Posted by: Jeff Schwartz (---.254.149.45.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 08:27PM

It sounds like you started placing guides at the tip. Do a static test to position the rest of the guides. the ones towards the tip might be close enough for your liking. If the line doesn't flow smoothly through the guides as they are, it's only a little time to remove and reposition. And a little more thread. Fly rod = not that much thread.
Jeff

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.210.---)
Date: February 21, 2005 08:38PM

Like Jeff said , you should be ok if you started at the tip . The spacing charts are ok for a starting point , but you should read and use the static placement , it realy lets you space the guides the way the charicteristics of the blank wants them . You may or may not see a great difference in the actual spacing when you are done ........ depends on the blank . Have fun , JD

Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sea1-4.27.224.88.sea1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 09:09PM

Oddly enough, one of the most satisfiying things to happen to me with rod building was when I reach the point that I could simply cut the tread on a guide that I wasn't quite satisfied with and rewrap it. And it comes from simply doing it over and over again. Take the guides off and do it right. You'll feel better and appreciate it more when you're done.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 10:00PM

I agree with Steve. And an even happier day was the day that I realized I don't need to look at a "guide chart". My reccomendation is to cut the threads, take all the guides off. Then put them on with tape following the chart. Then do a static test and look at that for a while. Then maybe take one guide off and re-position them a bit and load it again. Then wrap them.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 22, 2005 08:30AM

If its bothering you already it will definitely bother you later. If you dont have finish on the thread strip the guides off and start over again. Chalk off the time wasted as a lesson learned.

Lou

Posted by: Jackie Pratt (---.townisp.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 09:03AM

Well, I'll try the static test, but if it seems my current spacing is no good I'll cut them off and start over. The only reason I'm reluctant to do that is because I did start at the tip so I've already finished the really tiny wraps that aggrivate me. I hate the tiny wraps and boy are they small on a 4wt! Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks,
Jackie

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 22, 2005 01:52PM

The more wraps you do/make, the more proficient you become at them. After a few dozen, even those on the tip area will be nothing - you'll be doing them in under a minute. It just takes some repetition.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster