I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

underwrap problem - Tips please
Posted by: Rich Pedro (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 12:08PM

I'm working on rod#3 and this time I decided to attempt an underwrap for the eyes. I used metallics lt blue, when I was happy with the wrap pattern I sealed it with about 3-4 coats of U40 permagloss. When I wrapped the eyes over the underwrap, I had the hardest time getting the thread to go on smoothly, some areas of thread are thin and has gaps. I tried to pack teh thread and while I was able to so some of them not all of the gaps would pack or burnish out... How do the pros get underwraps & over wraps nice & tight. I dont necessarily mind the gaps and such (it does look like a custom wrap) how ever tighter wrap looks better.

Thanks

Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: underwrap problem - Tips please
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 12:27PM

You might try to apply more than one coat of permagloss. Enough to ensure the underwrap threads are entirely covered. Another thing I do (when ever possible) is to wrap in the opposite direction from the underwrap. Underwrap up the blank. guide wrap down the blank.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 12:33PM

Did you use the same size thread for both wraps?I've always used Two different size thread. "A" under wrap with a size "D" wrap. works much better. I also coat the wraps before overwrap

Date: February 21, 2005 12:43PM

Barry - I should have noted.... I'm using "A"

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 02:02PM

I generally underwrap in "A", burnish, then wrap guide with "C" or "D". THEN apply finish. You can use "A" to overwrap but it will be a struggle usually, and you'll have to stop every so many turns and pack the thread.

Lou

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.33.68.---)
Date: February 21, 2005 03:01PM

'Normally' I underwrap in A and do my guide wraps in A with no problems. Since metallics don't burnish as well as nylon you should pay special attention to get it on tight to begin with. I will try to have my thread come on to the rod at a sharp angle to get a tight pack. After sealing the underwrap with epoxy or permagloss you should still be able to do a guide wrap in size A thread w/o a problem.

If you have gaps in your underwrap, it will be a pain to do the guide wraps in the same size A thread. You can solve this by doing one of two things. (1) Do the guide wrap in C or D thread. (2) Since you're not too far into the project, cut the underwraps off and start over being careful not to form gaps in the thread.

Jay

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.42.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 03:15PM

It is a pain but Jay is right. I always wrap by hand. I feel you should be able to push about 5-8 or so threads when packing. If not, you may have you tension to tight?
Pack often Check often. When tight one wet coat of permagloss should work. Two to be sure

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 08:01PM

Unlike some of the other fellows above I use A (and thinner) for underwraps and A for the guide wraps as well and I've found that by keeping a good bit of tension on the underwaps then burnishing them to pack the threads I have little difficulty getting the guide wraps to come out smooth. What I do though is backoff on the tension for the guide wraps and burnish with less pressure than on the underwraps. I know this probably doesn't help you much as terms like "more" and "less" tension isn't what you can "feel" in words. If you're going to be in Charlotte, please stop by and I'll let you run the wrapper and feel the amount of tension on each - and do some practice wraps as well.

Date: February 21, 2005 08:33PM

Thanks for the great responses..... I will mark this as a lesson learned. Istruggles wrapping the 1st 6 guides and I do want to see my friend try out this pole (he has some health problems) What I did was hacked the thread as much I could, and it didnt come out that bad, some mistakes here and there but that's okay. It adds charactor,

Ken - I would absolutely love ot come down to Charlotte, however I wont be able to... work and the fact that I'm on the west coast (california). If I may add I purchased your DVD and it helped me out quite a bit. I look forward to other installments.

right now the 1st coat of permagloss is drying. I have a few pics, that I'll resize and attemp to upload to share them.

this rod also was my 1st attempt at a butt wrap, all I can say is not as easy as it look!!! Soon as I recieve the weave jig from Kens rod & reel repair I will be starting another project.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster