I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advice on setting up Calstat 765xl
Posted by: Mike Shannon (---.pskn.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 12:05PM

Hello all,

I’m going to be getting the opportunity to do some tuna fishing on my friend’s center console. We will be fishing out of NJ with livebait, chunks, and jigs for small bluefins with maybe a shot at some bigger yellowfins and bluefins,

I have outfits to handle the fish 25lbs and under and was thinking about building a rod for a 40 # class outfit to handle the bigger stuff. I’ll probably be matching the rod with an avet MX spooled with 40-50# braid and topped of with mono. I’ve never built any tuna sticks and haven’t done that much tuna fishing. I’m considering building on a Calstar 765XL blank, but open to other suggestions. I’d like to keep the rod around 6.5’ to make it easier to maneuver around the motor bracket.

Am I on the right path with this blank? Should I be looking at aluminum real seats rather than the Fuji heavy duty graphite boat seats? I was thinking about doing a spiral wrap on this? Any guides better suited to this than others? I’d like to go with SIC’s.

I’d appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advice on setting up Calstat 765xl
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 04:05PM

I've wrapped a bunch of the 765 blanks and really like them, I always use an Aftco #2 reel seat and Fugi guides either the LRSG or HNSG depending on which you like better, either will work just fine especially spiral wrapped.

Posted by: Mike Shannon (---.pskn.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 05:57PM

Thanks Jim,

I like the look of the LRSG's and they are single foot guides, correct? Do you think I should start out with a size 20 and work down to a size 8 or 10? Would a size 8 tip be able to pass the knot connecting spectra to 40lb mono? I was thinking about starting with the following size 20, 16, 12, 12, 10, 10, 8, 8 + tip and seeing how that works with the static deflection test. Does that sound about right?

Should I still be thinking about putting a gimbal on this rod or will the spiral wrap make the rod stable enough with just a butt cap?

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2005 07:32PM

The lrsg are the "turbo" guides. I'd go 20,16,12,10,10,8,8,8 with an 8 tip. Be fine with 40 #, I tie a double uni knot for my 40# spectra/mono connection which will fit no problem. I wouldn't use a gimbal on that rod, I don't have them on by 765L,ml and m rods.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster