I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What I'd like to learn at Charlotte
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 08:06AM

I would really appreciate it if someone (or several someones) would stop by to see me to discuss air
brushing while they're in Charlotte. I know absoultely NOTHING about it & need a basic primer (no pun
intended) from what's needed in terms of "stuff" (eqiupment); hints on the good/bad aspects (if any);
any "kits worth the money" (or those to avoid).
//Emory please - have no fear my dog will not be an active or passive participant in this latest adventure - LOL)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What I'd like to learn at Charlotte
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.68.25.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 08:36AM

The basic type to get Ken is a Two Stage. This works just like a auto spray gun in the auto painting field. The triger is pressed down for Air, then pulled back for material or paint. Bager is one good one. There should be a lot of info on the internet

Date: February 20, 2005 09:32AM

Another thing is if there are any Auto Custom Shops near you that do custom car painting, talk to them and find out what they prefer

Date: February 20, 2005 09:41AM

The only guy around here that does "custom finishing" on autos -- frankly I wouldn't have him paint
a radio flyer red wagon. :-(

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 20, 2005 09:56AM

Ken, you will find most tattooists are very capable airbrush artists and usually do a lot of the custom work done of choppers(two wheeled variety) etc.
Also forgot to mention that these guys also do a lot of fake tattoos with the airbrush.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2005 10:18AM by Myles Boon.

Date: February 20, 2005 09:58AM

If there are any good Quality body shops around??? Or even Auto Suppliers. They could probably tell you what make most people ask for, or use, or just go for price
Last shop I worked for I could not even talk to most of the workers, they didn't speek english???

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 10:26AM

Ken,
Myles has a really good suggestion. What you need is a tattoo of your dog. I think that I will get one of my lab but she is prettier than your dog and will make a much prettier tattoo.

Date: February 20, 2005 10:34AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - Right Ken?? LOL

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 20, 2005 10:37AM

Emory, I just got to wonder what the tattoo of Ken's dog would do when he flexes his muscles.

Posted by: Ronnie Apple (---.wave-net.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 12:31PM

Ken, the airbrush is another toy in the rod builders arsenal. The one I have is over 30 years old purchased from Sears. I am not sure who made it for them to retail but it has been a good one. As Bill stated you do need a two stage. It came with two different size nozzles and two needles. These control the pattern and the flow of paint. You definitely need an air compresser, regulator, and water trap to make sure no moisture enters gun. You also need a way to clean them after using. I use one production spray gun with lacquer thinner just to clean the exterior sections of the air brush after using. A spray gun will last forever if you clean them properly. The airbrush is fun to play with and it doesn't hurt to have some artistic ability but practice,practice, practice is what makes you accomplish what you set out to do. I primarly use the base coat/clear coat system, however the material is rather expensive. Make sure you have some sort of filtered exhaust system in your shop and wear OSHA approved respirator, this painting stuff can get nasty if you don't adhere to all of the safety precautions. I plan to attend the Charlotte show and will look you up. P.S. I just refurbished a RADIO FLYER for my grandson that my Father purchased in the early 70's. I had to sand blast all of the metal parts and replace a lot of the wood including the floor but it looks like a new one. So if you can't find anyone to paint your RADIO FLYER I might take it on. Ronnie..........

Date: February 20, 2005 12:34PM

My dog is a FEMALE ... not much to worry about there Myles. ... My dog isn't "pretty" ... mix of "whatever" brand ...
a hybrid(?)... rescued when she was a puppy.

Posted by: Eric Riggs (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 12:55PM

ANY good art supply store should be able to answer all your questions about airbrush supplies.
They should also have all the equipment needed.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 01:51PM

If all you guys are so familiar with teh airbrush - how come none of you post any pictures?

Date: February 20, 2005 02:43PM

Thank you Billy ...........

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 02:47PM

Ronnie is a good friend and has been doing this stuff for a long time, Ken. He'll fill you in at your booth in Charlotte. Hopefully, I'll be there to pick up on what he has to say, too. See you guys in Charlotte!!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 08:53PM

I found an old note from the local paint guru; you might've read the post where everyone was confusing custom rod building with customizing vehicles?? This is the guy that told me I was silly for thinking I could paint a whole vehicle with an air brush-he'd made the same mistake; we still laugh about it.

Anyhow, he told me that the Iwata (Eclipse) was the best, Badger and then Paasche. He also said to get the "dual action".

Putter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.151.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 10:38PM

I don't have any room in my living room for even a small compressor. And no profit in it. Got a bager in the box for a year, cans of air do not work well.
And I don't paint or do body work any more cause of two hip replacements
Also I can give you a guaranteed matalic blank color with spray cans and clear coat. No body is buying them
No ticky -- no shirty

Date: February 21, 2005 09:07AM

Thanks for all the advice. I think maybe now you can understand why I was / am so confused about air-brushes and equipment requirements? The only ones I'd seen were "hobby kits" in places like Michael's Crafts - some of which use compressed air in cans for painting models. I'd also seen "single stage" and "dual stage" versions but no one (again young adults in craft/hobby shops) had been able to sufficiently explain to me why one was better than another. "Why my interest in airbrush?" as a technique is really pretty simple. I've seen oustanding work done with an airbrush (as well as some really bad attempts). I think - but obviously don't KNOW - that suspending tints / flakes in a urethane finish and shooting it onto a rod blank might be the most durable, thin finish possible as well as provide some 'artistry' in blending or 'fading' color changes across the length of a rod blank. I hope no one took anything more away from my comments in earlier in this thread. I would like to see some of the effects possible from skilled users of airbrushes and what they have done.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 21, 2005 09:08AM

An old inflated tire can provide air pressure. Only trouble is that these can trap moisture so you need a water vapor filter in the air hose. I've always use a Badger which is probably 30 years old, or more. I really don't know where it ranks on the scale of quality but it's better than I am.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.183.100.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 21, 2005 09:27AM

I feel that the best way to color any thing is to spray. Even one of the hobby brushes will do a fair job, but it would be better to get some thing of quality. If the can had a higher pressure in them the clears would go on better and lay out more level.
A lot of the airbrushes make there own compressors. With a regulator and a water trap. The prices are reasonable The two stage brushes alow air to come out first witch keeps the tip from cloging when spraying just like the big guns

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster