I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Shipping Charges
Posted by: Anonymous User (63.146.104.---)
Date: February 19, 2005 09:34PM

how about not being told that a $2 decal you ordered as part of a large order is backordered, then paying $8 plus for shipping when it came in 2 weeks later. i now specify NO BACK ORDERS and then when they email me w/my list of items being shipped, i call em again and tell em NO BACK ORDERS. just for this reason. i order items from woodworking supply houses and just don't have this problem. they tell me sorry we were out, please don't order from the competetion, and send it out free shipping, or at a reasonable rate. hopefully shortly the sponsors that rip us off w/shipping, and they know who they are, will change or be forced out, through our lack of support.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 10:49PM

In a perfect world, all suppliers would have a software program built into their ordering systems that factored in a nominal weight of basic components (average guide/blank/spool of thread/bottle of finish, etc) and base shipping charges on weight scales rather than dollar amounts. Does it cost more to send me 5 Loomis blanks over 5 discounted 2003 Forecasts? No it doesn't.

But it isn't a perfect world so it is buyer beware. Similar to @#$%&. I've found great bargains on stuff on @#$%& "buy it now" sales until I notice the shipping is more than the cost of the item. Shipping is a great way to make a couple bucks profit and everyone knows this. Some people take advantage of this. It's up to the buyer to decide if it's worth it. I don't like paying a few dollars for a 25 cent winding check, but if I have to do it I don't have much choice. The companies know this. Sometimes it works to your advantage, most times it doesn't. Nature of the beast.......

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 11:23PM

From what i've seen with vendors, shipping costs are based on dollars spent. Vendors need to have some kind of base structure on S+H in order quickly process an order with the end user having at least "half a clue "as to what the final cost is going to be. Its probably something that can be negotiated with, depending on the order.

Obviously, a $100 blank is going to cost more to ship than a $100 guide set, but does "Dick or Jane" in the shipping department care? Nope.....they're just part of the process.

If you dont ask the vendor what the final S+H cost is going to be...you're going to be on their rates. Probably a standard company policy for most.

Diesel is 2.25/gal...PVC pipe is $.45/ft....tolls...insurance....a cardboard box? probably pretty cheap if you buy 5000 at a time.

In my opinion....verify shipping charges. Talk to the vendors verbally if you can. Express your displeasure when you get screwed and maybe they'll be "Kind".

When all else fails...choose another vendor!!

Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.cable.ubr03.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 20, 2005 03:24AM

One thing that could be done and should be done (if it hasnt been mentiomed already) is to send the company who has overcharged shipping AND handling an email voicing your concerns,in a lot of cases it can be rectified with a little give and take.
But in the first place if they dont know what they have done ,then they cant do anything about it.and if enough people email then surely they will listen.
I have bought from three seperate sponsors and ok shipping to the uk is expensive but the goods have always arrived okay ,but to different time scales,and in one case there was even extra handling put on for shipping to the uk.I put that down to the nature of the beast.i can either stop buying from the US or move house from the uk.and at this point dont feel like doing either.....

Bryan

Sorry i think i hit the post button twice ,apologies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2005 03:26AM by Bryan Ion.

Posted by: Bryan Ion (---.cable.ubr03.gate.blueyonder.co.uk)
Date: February 20, 2005 03:24AM

One thing that could be done and should be done (if it hasnt been mentiomed already) is to send the company who has overcharged shipping AND handling an email voicing your concerns,in a lot of cases it can be rectified with a little give and take.
But in the first place if they dont know what they have done ,then they cant do anything about it.and if enough people email then surely they will listen.
I have bought from three seperate sponsors and ok shipping to the uk is expensive but the goods have always arrived okay ,but to different time scales,and in one case there was even extra handling put on for shipping to the uk.I put that down to the nature of the beast.i can either stop buying from the US or move house from the uk.and at this point dont feel like doing either.....

Bryan

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 07:48AM

All of the reasons posted above (and some other factors like marketing) are why I made a purely business decision to NOT directly ship DVD's. Think about the "receive side" for all your "issues". "Where is my product?" ; "Why $4.95 for shipping when the postage was $1.04?" ; "The DVD was damaged please send a replacement" .

When items are lost - and they invariably are the shipper fills out the insurance claims - and waits sometimes a long time for reimbursement and has to keep records when their paperwork gets lost. I'm sure everyone also realizes that the packaging also costs money -- even those mailing envelopes -- which are also ordered with shipping charges. As I'm sure you should also realize that getting the product to the seller / distributor also costs money - for shipping. I have yet to have anyone return a "damaged DVD" and I haven't asked for one because that would cost the original purchaser what? You got it 'shipping' . What would I find if I did ask that the DVD be returned? A damaged DVD - or a damaged case? Do I really want to know how many 'unregistered' (aka stolen copies there are out there?). Beyond that is the record keeping associated with invoicing - bookkeeping too costs time/money and yes, Mr IRS really does want to know how many, at what profit margin. These are all "hidden costs" to the purchaser. Sure these
could be included in a purchase price - would that make anyone feel better - I doubt it.

Having said all the above -- I too am guilty of not reading the 'fine print' when ordering on-line and I too have felt "suckered". Then you make note for yourself on who you choose to do business with. There's culpability on both sides.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 08:20AM

JOhn Black - I had the same thing happen to me with a decal. It came in an envelope with 2 pieces of cardboard with a 32 cent stamp. Decal was $2. Total charge of B/O item = $9.50.

How about a free shipping over $x hundred dollar policy. You place an order (3 weeks ago) which totals $747, then there is a sheet of paper telling me th efree shipping over $xhundred has been bumped up to $750. Total cost of shipping a box = $15, when I expected $0, plus had I known about the policy change (maybe a notification on the website, or when I called to place the order, or when tehy called me to tell me something was backordered (which just so happeend to drop the total under $750) - not when I recieve th eorder and there's a sheet of paper in there.

It's my fault for ordering there, as I've had issues with them in teh past. Damn square block EVA.

Posted by: Scott Jungdahl (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2005 09:34AM

So, I'm not the only one.

Nick,
Of course I knew what the charges were going to be and I voiced my opinion, I was told that it's policy to go by item cost not weight. I needed the items.
Be resonable yourself Nick it's a rip and you know it.
BTW you were right the charge was .39 cents - a typo. The .10 cents makes everything ok (sarcasm - thought I might have to explain).

I don't want to supplement a sloppy builder who purchases inexpensive finishes by the gallon (a joke guys).

Also, of course handling charges should apply - an extra charge for shipping blanks should apply. However, some ethics should come into play. If vedors cannot make it without charging me 8.95 to ship feathers, they should raise prices.
What's fair is fair.

Bill,
I purchases two decals (waterslide) from Decal Connection - total cost 4.78 including S&H. They were fantastic to work with.
Good people with a great sense of humor.

Tom,
The vendors/sponsors in this forum should want to know the concerns of their customers. I understand your POV.
This thread should be noted by vendors. I had numerous email responses asking me to name the vendor - also a few that told of similar experience that named vendors. I won't name the vendor because they are a sponsor, however, they should take heed of voiced concerns.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 20, 2005 10:00AM

I guess it all depends on the way each of us would do business. I charge $.95 per magazine shipping on back issues of RodMaker. My physical cost to actually mail one magazine is $2.07 (postage and envelope). I figure I'm splitting the cost with the customer.

If I was mailing rod building components I don't know how I'd do things. But more than likely I'd institute a postage by dollar order amount like most companies do. Unless, of course, so many customers stopped doing business with me that I'd have to do something different.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.68.25.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 20, 2005 11:25AM

Like the artical in Tom's latest mag stated, don't buy just one item! I have had good luck with any supplier I have used here.
You want to save money, get a pad and make a list of things you will need. Tip tops get several and several sizes. Blanks say on a sale, get several you will have them in stock.
Call the supplier and find out if that blank is what you need. He will probably make suggestions .
When your list is done. Check it again! Then call! Find out if they have every thing you need

Posted by: Dennis Gillotte (68.122.57.---)
Date: February 20, 2005 11:58PM

One thing I am going to try to find local (driving distance) are blanks. While the initial purchase price might be tempting the 25 or 30 dollar shipping rate nullifies it for me. I live in Southern California and a 45 minute drive down by the coastline presents access to quite a few stores that stock or will order almost any brand of blank.

Posted by: Mark gordon (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 22, 2005 08:55PM

Shipping osts are born out of weight / size and to some degree value (insurance). The bigger / heavier requires better/more packaging, requires more space in the cargo container or comsumes more ot the total weight capacity. I have worked for companies that charge flat fees based on dollar value but it didn't make sense to me then and doesn't make sense to me now. But for the most part it is about covering costs and another way to make a few more bucks. I still cannot justify paying $5.95 for an emergency spool of thread I need and another $5.95 for s&h. It's cheaper for me to spend for the gas plus 5.5% sales tax then pay the exorbitant fees. I find when I have to do business with these companies I order more than I need to get the best value for the shipping charges but they'd get a lot more of my business if their pricing policies were more reasonable. So my threashold is generally ~ 5.5% of the value (thats what I'd have to pay in taxes if I bought locally. As other competition comes into play you;ll see pricing policies change -- a good example is the consumer electronics and software space.

Mark

Posted by: Sean Endres (69.37.33.---)
Date: February 23, 2005 04:55PM

john black Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"how about not being told that a $2 decal you
ordered as part of a large order is backordered,
then paying $8 plus for shipping when it came in
2 weeks later."

Every time I place an order with the vendor I use, there is always an item back ordered, then it ships a day or two later, and I am charged shipping again. I mentioned this to a few builders, said this was common with this vendor, use another.

I decided to try one more order, a blank and two spools of 100yd. thread. As expected, one spool of thread is back ordered, so it will cost me $5.25 for shipping on a $3.55 spool of thread. I cancelled the back order, and will now place my orders with a new vendor. FED UP with the @#$%&!!!!

Posted by: Mark Gordon (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 23, 2005 08:22PM

That happened to me twice last year but I insisted with the reseller that they were not to charge me again for shipping charges. They agreed and all were happy. If they had charged me -- like you I would not buy from them again.
I recently purchased from the same supplier and they recently changed their shipping policies The pricing was not clear -- and I chose what I thought was the lowest cost method but as it turns out another fee was tacked on. I called to complain and they apologized but didn't bother to offer any remedy other than to educate me on their policy. I suggested they need to the make the policy clearer. Unfortunately -- due to the long back orders last year (over 2-3 months) and the shipping policy changes this year and lack of response to my complaint I will be taking most of my business elsewhere.

If any business charges too much for shipping -- unless I must absolutely have what they offer -- I take my business elsewhere. Its a shame but thats the way the game is played. I am sure when certain resellers are loosing more customers than gaining revenue from shipping charges -- then and only then will they change their business practices -- or face the alternative -- run out of runway.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster