I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Shipping Charges
Posted by: Scott Jungdahl (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 04:06PM

Are there any sponsors in here that have reasonable shipping charges.
I recently bought some feathers from a popular supplier who charged me 8.95 - to ship feathers. The postage was .29 cents.
I had to pay 8.95 to have one tip top (gold cermet) sent from the same supplier.

I don't mind paying handling charges but this is not right.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shipping Charges
Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 04:48PM

Welcome to the club. And prices keep going up for shipping.

The best way to protect yourself from a high shipping charge is to ask for shipping via USPS, which is much cheaper than UPS or Fedex when shipping small items. In this case I guess the vendor charged you a rate similar to what these shippers charge, then pocketed the change. Unscrupulous at best --- let them know their shipping is too high and don't order from them again, then let other know. Most likely you'll need to hurt them where it matters most to them - their pcoket. Do you mind emailing me who it was, that I won't order from them either.

The other way that I lessen the impact of shipping charges is by ordering in volume, and never just one item. If it is a it's a must item and need just one count I'll order at retail from a merchant that ships via USPS - still cheaper than one who ships via the other more expensive carriers.

I have also specified "no back orders" to prevent vendors from shipping small quantities at will.

Lou

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 19, 2005 05:17PM

That supplier had to do a little more to ship that feather to you than just pay postage. They had to pay someone to fill your order, and then had to buy a box or package to put it in. Someone had to pack your order and perhaps even carry/drive it to the local post office.

Maybe that $8.95 was exhorbitant, maybe it wasn't. But I do know that postage alone isn't the fact of the matter. There's a little more to it.

Not trying to give you a hard time, but there is more to shipping charges than just postage. In fact, postage is usually the smallest part of the expense in getting something to you.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 05:17PM

To make things worse - Try being notified that part of your order is backordered, call directly to cancel the backorder (insignificant, small item), and have the supplier ship the backordered item anyway, with shipping charges.....

Happened to me twice. One a board sponsor, one not.

Jeff Shafer

Date: February 19, 2005 05:26PM

Tom,
I understand how S&H works I have a home mail order/retail business.
These are feathers in an envelope. The other order was ONE tip top - also in an envelope.
These are just two examples.
Also, being in the mail order/retail biz myself I can guarantee they are not driving to the post office

Date: February 19, 2005 05:31PM

In that case, you might find another supplier. As I said, maybe that fee might have been exhorbitant, maybe it wasn't. Some companies are lucky to break even on shipping charges, others make money on it.

Date: February 19, 2005 05:34PM

That's what I am trying to do.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 06:06PM

Making money on shipping is shady. I can understand handling, I have no problem paying that. however, se fees for a certain dollar amount is @#$%&. If I order 20 Hardaloy guides I'll be charged $8 for S&H. If I order 5 Titanium guides, I shouldn't be paig $13 for S&H.

It's sickening what certain suppliers do, I have no hesitation telling people who ask which suppliers have ripped me off with shipping. What's funny is most people have the same dealings with the same companies, yet we still order from them, lol.

Date: February 19, 2005 07:06PM

There has to be a better way.

Date: February 19, 2005 07:12PM

One of the problems some mail order operations run into, is not being able to figure shipping charges before your order is packed. They don't know how much it'll weigh. This is why they base shipping charges on the dollar amount ordered, as Billy was talking about earlier. Sometimes they lose money this way, other times they take in more than they need. In the end, they hope for a wash and to come out about even. The main thing, is to be able to publish their shipping charges and charge it at the time of order.

The only problem with this, as Billy mentioned, is that if you're the one customer who just order a set of titanium guides and have to pay a high premium for shipping based on the dollar amount, not the weight of the guides, which would be miniscule.

Posted by: Nick Alledge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 07:17PM

Scott - For about the last year, the minimum on USPS first class mail is $0.37 not $0.29 you might want to look at that label again before you go off on excess shipping charges.

Every time this type of thread comes up I have to laugh - Did you not read the company's web site regrading shipping charges before placing the order? If you read the company's web site and it stated (for example) order totals from $0 to $20 cost $8.95 to ship - stop complaining!! That is what the company said they would charge & that is what you got charged! If you did not read the companies shipping rates, then it was you own ignorance and you paid for it. Customer beware.

Charging the actual price it costs the shipper to send something is not practical - most often shipping companies(Fex Ex, UPS) love to tack on additional charges after they give you a rate quote like, rural delivery charges, fuel surcharges, irregular size charges, wrong address charges, residential delivery charges, etc. What is the shipper to do who charges the customer the exact cost to ship the goods when they get tagged for these additional charges? Go back to the customer weeks later when the bill comes in, dig out the paper work, verify the problem and the charge the customer the additional costs - I think not. Most company's charge a flat rate based on the order amount - the flat rate is based on their experense in what is costs to ship orders and the law of averages means that some times they win & sometimes they lose.

I for one an happy to pay shipping charges - at least I have the opportunity to purchase some of the items - local tackle shops do not carry many rod building supplies and what they do carry is double the price for what many mail order company's charge.

Posted by: russ blanchard (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 07:29PM

Most vendors shipping charges are out of control PERIOD!!

I can tell you one thing. If you ship a tube that is 7' or less via the USPS it doesnt cost anymore than $10-$12.(unless your insuring it to the hilt(Right Billy?))
Another thing is when some vendors tack on extra if its going to a residence instead of a commercial address.
That is @#$%& also.
Some places use one shipping service and will not look into more affordable avenues. Its pretty bad when you get one guide in a box that could fit 2 dozen reelseats and get hit 3 times what the guide cost in shipping charges! I dont think there are many custom rod customers out there that would say thats ok just add it to the price of my rod???????

Now I would like to commend Fred at Versitex who offered to meet me with some of the components and blanks I had ordered while he was on a road trip!!! Thats SERVICE!! And no he didnt charge me gas money either!!!

Thanks Fred!!! More places should try your approach!!

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.ip.arctic.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 07:34PM

I've run into a number of vendors who over-charge shipping, either by ignorance, or on purpose. Some advertise on this board, but it isn't just a problem to the sportfishing industry. The best way to counter-act that situation is to call the shipper you plan to use and get a shipping quote from them, even if it is just a ballpark figure. Then you should contact the vendor and get the shipping squared away before the order is placed or confirmed. There are many vendors here who are very reasonble. You've got to be a little proactive, and find the vendors that suit your needs and price points. My problem seems to be acute, because there are still so many people out there who believe Alaska is a foreign country.

Patrick Vernacchio

Posted by: Rich Gassman (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 07:41PM

Hi, I would like a new thread to just say, of the sponsors to the left, which are you most pleased buying from. I know I quit buying from one sponsor because on two different orders I got charged three times once and four times again. You would think there should be a standard or something that if we are out of stock, we will email you with the chance to cancel your order or we will ship your order when we get your order complete. There has to be some way to hold a order a week or even two if that is what it takes. I almost paid more in shipping than the cost of my order a couple times. I was not a happy camper. I know there are companies that if you order something they say is IN STOCK, and end up not having something you ordered, they ship it free, when they get it. It would be nice if everyone worked that way. I have really cut back on a great hobby since that happened to me, I am wanting to do my next fly rod with Titanium gold cermet guides and all the nice hardware, but have been worried about the shipping cost, this thread did not help me much.

Posted by: Nick Arledge (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 07:42PM

Just to follow up on the high shipping costs for titanium guides - say you order a high ticket item like titanium guides, light and small but costly - your order total is $75 and the company charges you $9.95 to ship them. The company decides to ship them in a small box priority box mail for $3.95 (less than 2 pounds is $3.95 priority mail in the USA). You get the package, you see $3.95 and like Scott above you get chapped and make a post on this BBS. What you don't realize is the shipper has taken a gamble - if you package was lost the shipper would be out $84.95 ($75 PLUS the $9.95) - and I'm sure you being the good penny tight customer you are call your supplier to complain you never got the package - now the vendor has to ship them to you again at a lose of $84.95!

What the shipper should have done is ship them UPSP priority mail insured - which requires and trip to the post office to get an offical stamp on the receipt - then you have to file an insurance claim, cross your fingers and wait 6 months to get paid. OR the shipper could have shipped them Fed Ex or UPS, paid about $4.25 plus $0.50 fuel surcharge, $1 rural delivery charge, $1.50 residential delivery surcharge, $1 for insurance, $0.50 box cost plus average in scheduled UPS pick up charges PLUS handling charges and you almost at the $9.95 they charged.

Let me add this thought - Say I own a business selling people a penny for 2 cents - yes I get people to pay 2 cents for only one penny, I am making a 100% margin. The only catch is people can only place one order at a time for 2 penny's. I offer to ship the order in the a first class envelop for $0.37 and I only charge the customer $0.37 to ship it (the actual chipping costs). - how long before I go broke?

The point is it is just not practical in business to charge actual shipping charges - buyer beware and check the shipping charges before ordering and don't complain when a company charges you what they said they would.

Date: February 19, 2005 07:44PM

UPS, as well as some other carriers, charge a surcharge on orders being sent to homes rather than businesses. It's not the dealer who adds that, it's the carrier who charges it and the dealer than passes it on to you. By the way, those long shipping tubes aren't free. A few dollars at best, but something which also has to be figured in.

Regardless of what any company's shipping and handling charges might be, if they list them on their site or in their catalog, then no one should complain. You do not have to order from them if you don't like the various charges. If you can get a phone or email quote, that's fine, but doing business that way is very difficult on the dealers, many of whom have to pack many, many orders each day. Having to try and figure out what it's going to cost to ship an order they haven't yet picked and packed just isn't that easy. And until you've bought and paid for it, they really can't afford to pick the items, weigh them and then give you a shipping charge.

As always, the consumer has the final say. Don't do business with those whose shipping charges you feel are exhorbitant. In most cases, I really don't believe that anyone is getting fat on shipping and handling charges, but if you feel they are, just stop buying from them.

Date: February 19, 2005 07:47PM

Richard,

Depending on where you're located and what you're capable of, you can come to Charlotte next week and buy all the stuff you want with absolutely no shipping or handling charges tacked on.

Of course, you may have to figure in some heavy gas money or plane fare to get there, but the overall prices, selection, seminars, food, etc., might make it more than worth your while. And again, no shipping charges.

And remember, any of the dealers who are attending are happy to pack your orders and bring them to the show for you. No shipping charges. Take advantage of this once a year deal if you can.

Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 08:02PM

Our business ships everyday and I can tell you that I think that most vendors use this as a way to pad the profit, no new revelation. Again, we only charge the actual cost of shipping and figure the handling is already priced into the markup of the item. I can send a one pound package almost anywhere in the US for $3.45 and they pick up. I am so tired of the shipping cost being deternimed by the sale amount routine because most materials other than the blanks tend to be very small,lightweight, and easily small boxed. I hate paying someone $10 or more to ship small items whose total cost is less than $50 and actual shipping costs are less than $1 like guides and such. As always, vote with your feet.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 19, 2005 08:03PM

If you can stand it, best thing to do is always order as much as you can at one time. Break the charges down as much as you can per item.

If the dealer offers it, look into USPS flat rate priority. They have a new rectangular box that will hold a ton of guides and reel seats and it's just $7.40 to ship anything you can fit into it, anywhere in the country. Pretty good deal.

Wish I could make it to Charlotte but it's not in the cards this year. Have a great time.

Posted by: floyd cashmore (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 09:29PM

One of our sponsors has charged my daughter minimum shipping for a gift certificate!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster