I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Dancraft blanks
Posted by: Mike Anderson (---.nissan-usa.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 11:58AM

I have been told that the dancraft is as good a blank as a Sage. Is this true?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dancraft blanks
Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: February 18, 2005 12:11PM

Of course not! How can it be if It only costs half as much! Just kidding. They are better, IMO.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (198.237.218.---)
Date: February 18, 2005 12:32PM

Limited experience with Sages. More with Dan's blanks.

Simply...Dan's blanks are terrific.

The 8'4 4 wt Sig V. is the best rod I've ever touched. Others calim that honor goes to the 8'9 Sig. V 4 wt.

The heavier weight Sig V. are incredible light....Amazing.

Everybody seems to have fallen head over heels in love with the FT blanks...

They are off the chart good. And Dan is a terrific guy to deal with.

Give them a try....Prepare to fall in love.

Keith

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 12:41PM

Mike, I've built and fished a number of Dan Craft blanks. They are an excellent value for the money. My favorite is a Sig V 10 wgt I use for Coho's. And I fish it every season, often.
I don't believe cost necessarily equals a better performing rod. But the question is, "what comparisons are you making to compare Sage Vs Dan Crafts?" The most significant difference between a Sage and a Dan Craft blank, is cost. Dan's blanks are cheaper, hands down. If you compare retail costs, then Dan Craft offers a better value for your money. I would go so far as to say that you would not be disappointed if you chose a blank from Dan.
Have you fished a Sage previously? They both certainly have their following, and both provide high quality blanks and finished rods.
Beyond that, I think the only true measure of performance is to build similar rods of equal weight, equal IM or modulus, and fish them to see which one you like. Without an actual comparison at your favorite fishing hole, stream, or lake, it would be impossible for anyone to be able to tell you which is the better performer. It would be like someone looking to buy a car based on someone trying to explain the road-handling differences of a Corvette and a Porsche to someone who never drove either.

Patrick Vernacchio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2005 12:56PM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 18, 2005 12:47PM

Patrick makes a valid point. But I hasten to add that many of us believe the D.C. outperforms the Sage, and at half the price. I hope that the Sage camp doesn't get wise to Dan's product or the price of his blanks may go up. And Dan, where are those T-shirts for our "One Weight" club [the 6' 10" Sig III]?

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.msn.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 01:19PM

In my opinion Dan's blanks are much better than any of the high priced name brands. The best way to find out is to build one and you will become a fan along with a lot of us who have built and fished them.

Don.... What about those of us who have Sig III 2 wt's ? Can we get on the T-shirt list or do we have to build a 1 wt ?

Bob

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 18, 2005 01:28PM

Bob. You have to build the 1 weight! But I now have a 2 on order, so I may change my mind. A lot of guys love that 2 weight as well. Would complicate our choice of slogans though.

Posted by: Patrick Vernacchio (---.telalaska.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 01:34PM

Bob & Don, What are you fishing for with the 1 & 2 wgts ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2005 01:34PM by Patrick Vernacchio.

Date: February 18, 2005 01:35PM

Enough said, I am buying a Dancraft blank next week. I have been using an Orvis TLS rod lately but I need an excuse to build another rod. It looks like a major upgrade is as good an excuse as I can come up with. I never knew that rod building could be so additive. How many rods is too much? Where does it stop????

Thanks to everyone for their input I will surely be asking more questions in the future.

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 02:30PM

Patrick....great analogy!

Bows and Cutts to 12" on my 6'10" 1wt

....I can hardly wait!
RB

for the 2wt club...

"No one can fish just 1(wt)!"

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: February 18, 2005 02:48PM

Patrick. I e-mailed you the answer to your question. I agree with Robert, 12 to 14 inch fish, no matter what the species, are perfect for these little rods. I now have several 0 and 1 weight rods from Dan's blanks. I got tired of building other brands and finding that my advertised 1/2 weight blank was really a 3/4. Who needs a 5 foot 4 weight? The Sage TXLs are an exception to this rule.

Date: February 18, 2005 03:12PM

I currently use a factory Orvis TLS that I haven’t liked since I bought it, (couldn’t cast prior to buying and it was a sale item so no refunds). So according to your analogy I guess I am still driving a Buick… I can’t wait to list it on @#$%&. Most of my other rods are Loomis.

Posted by: Jim Sawyer (---.tci.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 03:16PM

I built on one of the 1 wt blanks - My goodness, what a sweet rod.
i used it on some monster 7 to 11 inch brookies - a great experience - it is a keeper

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: February 18, 2005 03:33PM

I'm wating for an FT 8wt. All this talk has me even more excited that I was before. I should get my stuff next week :) Dan has been great to deal with and I'm sure that this will not be my last rod to build on one of his blanks (I'm already eyeing a 10' blank for a switch rod).

This rod building thing has me hooked bad!

Peter

Posted by: Bob Crook (65.54.154.---)
Date: February 18, 2005 05:24PM

With the 2wt, bows & cutts in the 10 to 14 inch range the largest was a 17 " brown, a real blast.

Guess I will have to build a 1 wt so I can join the club.

Peter.... I have built 2 FT's, a 10 ft 10 wt & a 9 ft 5 wt both great rods, just starting an FT 10 ft 3 wt. I am sure you will like the 8 wt.

Bob

Posted by: Alex Argyros (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 07:48PM

Since I can't try a Dan Craft rod, I'd appreciate some kind of comparison in order to have some idea of what his blanks are like. For example, to what rods might one compare the Sig V 8' and 8'9" 4 wts? Are they very fast, like a Sage XP, or are they more like an STL or a TXL. My preference is for medium to medium-fast action rods (Sage SP, Loomis IMX, etc.); do any of Dan Craft's blanks have actions like this?

Posted by: Alex Argyros (---.dsl.rcsntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 08:13PM

I don't know if it was the fingers or the brain missing a beat, but I meant the 8'4" Sig V.

Posted by: Dan Sparks (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 08:25PM

Alex, take a look at the CCS Data Site, using the link to the left. The Sig V blanks and rods listed there all fall in the general range you like, medium to medium-fast, mostly in the latter category. My Sig V 8'9" 4 weight CC's at 5.5, with an AA of 62. The Sig V 10' 7 weight I am building measures 9'9" assembled, and CC's at 8.5 with an AA of 66.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.harborside.com)
Date: February 18, 2005 10:27PM

The 8'4 Sig V is actually listed by Dan as a 3/4 wt. But it is a perfect 4 wt.....I think Dan agees with the idea that at normal range the 4 wt line is just right for it.

It cc's at about 4.5 or 4.6...."perfect" 4 wt territory. AA of 62.

I think it is fast...AND very responsive at fishing distances. It handles 15 feet of line with ease....and I can stretch it out to about 70 ft (which is good for me....whoever fishes a 4 wt at this distance). It is light...thinks for you....puts the line where you point it....looks great.....feels great.....Just wonderful.

I also have the 9'9 (10 ft) 7 wt....which I feel is perfect with an 8 wt line. This is an amazingly lite rod.....quite fast, too.

Keith

Posted by: Douglas Campbell (---.dsl1-merch.roc.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: February 19, 2005 02:06AM

What flies are you casting with one and two weights?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster