I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I told u I was a n00b with a question
Posted by: Lee Nagel (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 05:50PM

I just found this forum and am thinking about trying this rodbuilding thing out. I still can’t believe my eyes! You folks are creating gorgeous works of art, and they can catch fish too!!!!! I’ve been tying for over a year now and have been flyfishing since I was about 7. (I’m 42 now)

Whats the best book and video ‘yall can suggest for a total n00b to get started with?

Thanks all for a great forum and source of information.

(sorry Mike for the breech of protocal)

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I told u I was a n00b with a question
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.a.004.brs.iprimus.net.au)
Date: February 17, 2005 06:02PM

Tom Kirkman's rodbuilding guide as the book, get Ken Preston's DVD for a visual guide and this forum is all you need to start building, once you get going there is Rodmaker magazine and books like Dale Clemens Advanced rodbuilding and if you get into weaving Doc Ski's video's and weave patterns.

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.los-angeles-54-55rs.ca.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 17, 2005 06:21PM

man, are you in trouble now. get ready for the obsession of your life.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 07:11PM

Lee,

No apology needed!! I just didn't want you to wonder why your post disappeared! In addition to Tom's Book and Ken's video, check out the FAQ's button at the top and the Library which has some excellant articles. If you are remotely close to Charlotte, you shoud consider attending the National Rodbuilding show

I hope you realise that nokw that you've found this place, your life as you knew it is over!!!

Mike

Hand Rod Wrappers
Posted by: Meinzer, Greg (---.130.140.95.nwinternet.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 08:52PM

As a beginner, I am looking for advice/input on a good hand wrapper.....As with all things, there are a multitude of choices. I am pretty sure my rod building will revolve primrily around family and friends and would appreciate any input regarding some of those rod wrappers currently on the market. My motto tends to be, "The simpler, the better"; if that helps.

Thank you,

Greg

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 09:38PM

If that's your motto, then look in the photo section under equipment. Look at some of the fine examples in there and save yourself some money and build your own. You can make it as simple or as elaborate as you want. There is also a article in the library about building your own. That's what I did and it works great. Welcome!!! and have fun!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 10:08PM

Greg,

You might want to post your question as a new subject. It will only be seen here by those reading this thread.

Fishstix 4 U has some pretty inexpensive hand wrappers on their web site. Check on the left

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2005 10:23PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: John Vander Zee (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 10:20PM

Lee-
If you haven't built your first rod, it's not too late...you CAN step back from the precipice, and reclaim a normal life. However, should you decide to not heed the many warnings on this forum and proceed onward, I would agree- buy Tom Kirkman's book, get your supplies from the board's sponsors, and kiss your former life goodbye......

With regards to a good hand wrapper, you can't go wrong with William Bartlett's advice- last week I finished two wrapper/dryers that I ripped off from Jake Grey's design in the photo section- only with a few upgrades (gee honey.....if I'm going to build one, I might as well as build two; and if I am going to use pine, I might as well as use maple for one and walnut for the other...). Just finished a wrap and finish with one new rig tonight, and it works like a dream.....

Thanks Jake and most of all Tom for your willingness to share...

Now I just gotta go find me a 12-step program for Rodbuilders Anonymous.....

John

Posted by: Lee Nagel (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: February 18, 2005 08:50AM

Thanks everyone for the advise. Charlotte is a tad bit of a drive for me, I'm in SW Missouri (Branson). It would seem that no one has any interest in trade shows around here.

As for the "life as I know it", it's still trying to recover from the tying obsession, so I wont miss it that much.

I have to say, 'yall are truly making some gorgeousl rods.

24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster