I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat question two
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.sjo1-4-4-016-202.sjo1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2005 05:05PM

I just noticed on my struble u20 that the but piece is separate from rest. I thought it would just screw in. That dose not work. Do I have to glue it? Do I also glue the wood insert to the seat ? I have books but they do not go into detail about various seats and assembly. Thanks Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat question two
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 16, 2005 05:36PM

Reel seats always come in pieces and you have to put them all together with something like Rod Bond. I assemble them to the blank in stages so I eliminate the possibility of glueing all the pieces into a single unusable mess.

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.wa.charter.com)
Date: February 16, 2005 05:37PM

Hello Tom
Yes you will need to glue them togeather. Make sure you have cleaned the bonding surfaces. Both the rod blank and reel seat componets. Then give the bonding surfaces a light buffing with grey scotch brite. A good epoxy to use on them is U40 Rod Bond. It is a paste rod building epoxy and will bond them very well.
You will likely need an arbor for the reel seat to fill between the blank and the reel seat insert.
Regards Joe

His Rod Shop
Joe Kassuba

Posted by: tom nair (---.sjo1-4-4-016-202.sjo1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: February 16, 2005 06:04PM

So the rod bond works for metal to metal? The cap on the seat is metal and you insert it at the end of the threads. I dont get why they made this a two piece butt. Thanks

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 16, 2005 06:37PM

Like Gerry says, you should assemble/glue the seat as a separate step before gluing the seat to the blank using arbors. The butt piece can be engraved before gluing and is sometimes left off, depending on whether a fighting butt is to be used instead. Different wood inserts can be used with the same metal hardware. There are one piece aluminum reels seats out there pre-assembled if that is what you want.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster