I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides
Posted by: alan hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: February 16, 2005 04:50PM

im ready to start putting on the guides on my spinning rod blank, i have noticed on here that everyone talks about filing the guide feet to rod. The guides i have only have one foot on them and the foot is shaped like an arrow. Do i file that arrow down so that it is straight back to the guide before i wrap it on the blank. Or is it the bottom of the guide that gets filed?

thanks for all the help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 16, 2005 05:25PM

Tape the guide to a piece of blank and start a wrap just off of the "arrow point" that you refer to. You will notice that when the thread tries to climb up the end of the guide there will be difficulty in getting the thread to stay in line while it is going up the foot. The problem is created by the thickness of the "arrow foot" and not the width of the arrow. The area of the guide foot that gets "filed" is the top on an angle to make the guide transition a very smooth one. It is also best to work the bottom of the guide in the "tunnel" with a round file to assist the bottom in conforming to the blank. When you are through thinning the guide point be sure to deburr the bottom surface to insure that there will be no blank damage. Take a look at some of the guide close ups on the Photo Page and notice the smooth transition of thread as it goes up and over the guide foot. If this is not done properly when the blank is loaded there will be a separation of thread at the very beginning of the guide foot.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 16, 2005 06:40PM

Here you are: with photos
www.kensfishingrods.com/workshop/wkb_guides/guide_workbook_1.htm

Posted by: alan hutchison (209.36.159.---)
Date: February 17, 2005 08:41AM

thanks so much for providing the website addrsss in your response. It make sit so much easier to find, and also the instructions were the best ive seen so far. Great pictures to help better understand wrapping.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster