I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy Coatings - taking orders
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 16, 2005 03:39PM

Due to the overwhelming inquiries and demand for this finish - I have gone ahead and ordered it in the largest size possible, with that in mind and the fact that most of you really do not want 32oz. kits I am going to re-bottle it into 4 and 8oz. kits. There will be instructions for use but no label on the bottles only markings that will say Part A or Part B.
Orders will be ready to ship on Monday the 21st. Please call or e-mail me direct for any information that you might need. My website will be updated sometime this evening with pricing. If there is a delay in receiving bottles and/or finish I will post on this board, but for now all looks like a go!

Thank you-
Karen Hapka
Bingham Enterprises

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Coatings - taking orders
Posted by: David A. Fuller (---.region6.ang.af.mil)
Date: February 16, 2005 04:04PM

Karen, that is VERY, VERY accomodating of you. This is a fine example of WHY YOU are so successful and well thought of by us.

Good Wrappin !
David A. Fuller,
Great Basin Fishing Rods
Full-Time RV'r Traveling- n- Fishing
www.mytripjournal.com/FullersBigAdventure

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 16, 2005 09:19PM

Someone (I think Billy V.) had said that if you cuntacted the company, they would send you a sample. I emailed them, and they emailed me back saying that they no longer provided samples. Any way of getting some, I'd like to try before I buy. I don't have money to waste on something I'm not going to like? I'm sure others will agree.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 16, 2005 10:38PM

I don't think most will agree, or at least I hope not. Really Bill, there is some risk in anything you do. We're talking $10 or so for a small kit, not a fortune. I get this sort of thing all the time with the magazine; people wanting a free copy to see if they "like it or not." It costs me about $4.50 to provide and mail a "free" copy. It would require me to sell about 4 full price subscriptions to pay for each free sample. I can't and don't do it.

I imagine the folks at Epoxy Coatings can't absorb the cost of not only the hordes of free samples that would be requested, but the postage and the labor involved in someone having to package all the samples. Trust me, it adds up.

I guess it depends on individual nature - hardly a week goes by when I don't buy something just to try it; a magazine, a meal, a fishing lure, etc. I've never once thought to ask anyone for a free sample in order to see if I'll like it or not.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 16, 2005 11:59PM

Well Tom,
I agree, to point. If you have the $10 to spend on it that's fine. I don't, I'm sure you've read my past posts and know my situation. Ten dollars doesn't seem like a lot of money or even two dollars for that matter. But when you don't have 2 nickles to rub together, it might as well be a million. It's just like the guy who thought I was out of line asking if someone had a spare spool of thread. He said that thread was only a couple bucks a spool. Well, again, it might as well have been a million. That's why I haven't subscribed to your magazine, I just can't afford it right now, and it agravates me to death when someone answers one of my questions with a referance to a Rodmaker Magazine article. Because I have no way of getting it, aside from someone scanning it and emailing it to me. I've been informed now, that I could get into legal trouble for even asking for that. But that's OK I'll just bide my time and learn what I can on this wonderful website you've provided. You are to be congradulated. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Bill in WV

Date: February 17, 2005 07:44AM

Bill,

I understand your position, but you need to understand the position of most rod building businesses. You're not the only one asking for samples. Just as it's hard for you to come up with $10 for a finish kit, it's equally hard for Epoxy Coatings Company to fullfull hundreds, even thousand of requests for free samples. The margin on most rod building related equipment is lower than it's ever been. Compaines are selling more and making less.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but I wonder if when you go to the grocery store if you ask for free samples of each food item before you buy it? Don't mean to take this to the extreme and I can appreciate your financial position, but since I have to deal with this every day I can easily see the side of the manufacturers and dealers in this.

I don't know what finish you're using now, but all epoxy finishes are at least similar. The Epoxy Coatings version isn't a miracle finish nor will you find it very different from Flex Coat, Glass Coat, AMTAK, etc.

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.dhcp-bl.indiana.edu)
Date: February 17, 2005 10:00AM

Firstly, I completely understand Tom's side of this argument. Giving away sample products only seems to make sense if there is the potential for significant gains in sales. In this case, I don't see how giving samples to the relatively few custom rod builders out there makes economic sense. However, it is the company that has dangled the carrot in the faces of the curious among us by offering samples on their website. I inquired and they said that they were no longer providing samples, so I am content leaving it at that. At this point in my rod building adventures I am interested in trying different products to see if there is one that works better for me. To date I have used Flex Coat. On the next few rods I will be using LS supreme to see how that goes. Putter's rave reviews have me very curious about the epoxy coatings product. I'll quit rambling now, I just wanted to point out that it was the manufacturer that offered the samples. Hope I didn't step on any toes :).

Peter

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 17, 2005 11:32AM

It goes right back to websites not being updated on a routine basis, I guess. I think that in this day and age, it would be a great idea for any company with a website to really maintain it and keep it updated. There are a lot of people surfing for things and it would help their sales not only to show what they have and services provided but to take things off the site that are no longer handled or services that are no longer provided. I know this really bugs Mike B. ;)

Date: February 17, 2005 02:25PM

Well, if they do offer them, they should either supply them or as Randy said, update their site.

Keep in mind that Ralph O'Quinn will be bringing samples of the new LS Supreme High Build to Charlotte. I think he'll also be handing out discount cards that you can use for full sized LS kits at most of the dealers there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster