I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Burkheimer blanks?
Posted by: dave albright (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 09:26PM

what type ferrules are used on these blanks?
I'd like to hear any one's comments about their experience
w/ these blanks? quality? casting characteristics?
and comments about their 3 wgt designations

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burkheimer blanks?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2005 09:31PM

Very nice blanks. Nicely finished and reasonably crisp. You will generally find that all Burheimers come with a 3 line weight designation. Very practical. The middle number is the best line for general use at 25 to 50 feet. The first number is for longer and the latter is for closer. On the CCS scale, they measure about exactly as you would expect for the manufacturer's rating.

Ferrules are tip over butt. I believe they come in grey or green. Lamar Manufacturing is a dealer and has them in stock. I've built two and find them to be very nice rods. One is their 3-weight and it's a very nice rod as well.

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.177.---)
Date: February 14, 2005 10:14PM

Dave , I bought and built a 6'9" 3wt for fishing a couple of smaller rivers in Ct . 3.57 ERN, and 63 AA . Andy was nice enough to do the CC data when I purchased it from him .Nice fit and great finish . I use it mostly with a 4wt line for the streams , and occasionaly a 3wt line on a couple of ponds when I want to go farther with my casts . The finished rod is fine fishing tool , no guessing as to where the fly will land when I cast. John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: February 15, 2005 05:35PM

Dave--not much to add...simply some of the finest fly blanks out there. We also carry/distribute them and find they consistently CC out bang on the money and perform as good as they look. They are actually available in clear coat (gloss "grey"), gloss green, and gloss blue. They are VERY straight and the ferrule fit is immaculate--crafted with the same attention to detail many of us approach the rodbuilding end with.

Hope you go with one--you won't regret it!

All the best,

Posted by: Jeff Hunter (---.rainierconnect.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 06:02PM

Dave, the only thing I would add is that the few that I've had in my hands are rockets. Very fast action. If you have a softer casting style they may be a little quick. Other than that, they are a great blank in every way. I wouldn't be afraid to build on any of them and be confident that I would have an outstanding rod. I've also found that what was said about the CC rating is true. These are dead on. You won't be disappointed.

Jeff Hunter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster