I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NCP vs nylon threads
Posted by: Gary Gill (---.wk.shawcable.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 11:32AM

I have been doing alot of practice wrapping in preparation of building my first fly rod. I do not like the results I am getting using nylon thread with CP then my epoxy, sometimes blotchy and inconsistant color. Is NCP thread going to get rid of these problems and then skip the CP process? Any wrapping or finishing differences using NCP vs nylon? I'm sure of the color look and style of trim wraps that I want to achieve but should I try NCP thread to really get this look. Thanks for any advice.
Gary

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NCP vs nylon threads
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 11:58AM

If you are getting blotches, your thread is not packed tight enough, You need to really pack your wraps, then pack again. Don't skimp on the CP, use flood coat. NCP thread is, IMO, very dull/lackluster and looks more like a coat of flat paint.

Mike

Posted by: Mark Gordon (12.38.201.---)
Date: February 14, 2005 12:20PM

Gary;

I always use regular Nylon. Mike is right -- NCP is dull and pack your threads tight. I use Flexcoat CP and have had no problems. Its an acrylic (like floor wax). I apply in many coats and work in with a high quality brush to ensure the threads are saturated. If after applying I find it uneven I will use a little 91% isopropyl alcohol on a high quality brush to soften the arylic and smooth the finish out. I also use the alcohol to clean the threads etc before applying the next coat of any finish to make sure all the grease and grime are off the threads. Let the CP reset if you use the alcohol on it. I also find that sometimes I get better results if I urethane over the CP before I apply the epoxy. Some might say use NCP -- the epoxy will give you a better bond. Personally I don't find this to be the case. The viscosity of the epoxy really makes it difficult for it to seep through the threads and bond to the blank thus no clear advantage.

Mark

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 03:18PM

You'll notice the diff using cp has on strength when you cut off old guides, triple wrapped guides with no cp and epoxy on all three coats are much harder to cut off than those done with cp. The exoxy soaked wraps turn into a solid rock if the eoxy is applied correctly-

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 04:51PM

What they said. I've found __especially__ with the lighter shades of NCP on a dark blank, and the reverse on a light blank, unless they are packed like sardines in a can, the slightest gap in the wrap waves an ugly flag at you....And I'm talking a gap of less than 1/2 thread width. Being a textile, it does not absorb resin or CP in the same manner as regular nylon thread.
Even when burnished to close any gaps, __any deviaton in thread tension__ also stands out like the proverbial sore thumb as well. Nylon thread is a lot more forgiving for both these scenarios.
I now use the NCP as trim threads, rarely venturing into main wrap territory with them.
As far as blotchy goes, you may want to try a flood coat of water based CP, as opposed to aromatic solvent types...let dry, and one more flood coat, using the corner of a paper towel to carry away any excess that won't get absorbed, after a 5-10 miinute period.
If you have oily hands and fingers while first wrapping, this is a cause of blotching too.
I used to go over every wrap with a tame solvent, like rubbng alcohol, to leach out any skin-transmitted oils....Now, I just wash my patties at the start, and at intervals during the wrap.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 04:51PM

What they said. I've found __especially__ with the lighter shades of NCP on a dark blank, and the reverse on a light blank, unless they are packed like sardines in a can, the slightest gap in the wrap waves an ugly flag at you....And I'm talking a gap of less than 1/2 thread width. Being a textile, it does not absorb resin or CP in the same manner as regular nylon thread.
Even when burnished to close any gaps, __any deviaton in thread tension__ also stands out like the proverbial sore thumb as well. Nylon thread is a lot more forgiving for both these scenarios.
I now use the NCP as trim threads, rarely venturing into main wrap territory with them.
As far as blotchy goes, you may want to try a flood coat of water based CP, as opposed to aromatic solvent types...let dry, and one more flood coat, using the corner of a paper towel to carry away any excess that won't get absorbed, after a 5-10 miinute period.
If you have oily hands and fingers while first wrapping, this is a cause of blotching too.
I used to go over every wrap with a tame solvent, like rubbng alcohol, to leach out any skin-transmitted oils....Now, I just wash my patties at the start, and at intervals during the wrap.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 07:26PM

The problems with color preserver are well documented. The problem you are experiencing is not new, many others, including me, have had similar experiences. I stopped using the stuff years ago, it has no place in the rods I build anymore because of the many problems associated with it....

Lou

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 09:00PM

I'd like to know exactly where these so called problems are documented. I've used color preserver for over 15 years on everything from freshwater bass rods to unlimited class trolling rods and not once have I have any problem with color preserver or my wraps. I refuse to believe that I'm just lucky or some type of rod building genius. I think my experience is about the same as most rod builders when it comes to color preserver. If you can't use the product correctly, don't blame the product. As someone said a while back, if color preserver was somehow bad, the companies couldn't continue to sell it.

Any beginner needs to read the article that Ralph O'Quinn did on color preserver. Like any product, there are plenty of ways to screw it up if you don't know what you're doing. But that doesn't mean the product is bad.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2005 09:33PM

I plan to put that article in the library here in the next two weeks, along with two new ones on other topics.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: February 15, 2005 12:21AM

I don't use CP any more only because I like the look with out it. Even on butt wraps

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 02:42AM

I wasn't going to chime in, but...

My experience with CP is as follows and I only state this as a POSSIBLE warning:

CP is not impervious to moisture; epoxy finish is.

Any guide wrap can be taken and tweaked and the finish can crack or lose it's seal with the blank somewhere. Losing the epoxy's seal happens accidently and also due to such things as poor guide prep and finishing techniques.

When CP is used and this seal is broken AND the rod is used in very inclement or humid conditions, the guide wraps can get moisture throughout large areas because CP is not impervious to moisture. Any builder's rods can run into this situation if CP is used. It took several years before I ran into this problem.

I don't have the problem any more nor do I worry about this problem any more because I don't use CP any more.

Again, this possibility exists, and using fresh epoxy finish on wraps, filling tunnels completely and ensuring I do all that I can to get the finish to encapsulate each thread on each wrap is my only assurance that this doesn't happen to my rods.

I look forward to the day that someone makes a product that allows me to color preserve AND finish threads in one step.

Just my two cents on this subject...

Putter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2005 02:48AM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 15, 2005 02:05PM

Putter, you have a point, as I'm sure everyone does when it comes to this subject. I'm not disputing your point, just saying that I and countless others always use CP (even on metallics) and have NEVER encountered any of those problems. "To each their own"

Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster