I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2nd quality blanks
Posted by: Shanon Hedgecock (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 03:37AM

where is a good place to look for 2nd quality fly rod blanks (cosmetic blems)?

Shanon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2nd quality blanks
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.124.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 04:18AM

i'm just curious... why do you want cosmetically blemished fly rod blanks?

eric
fresno, ca.
(your email is hidden, otherwise i would have asked this privately)

Posted by: Randy Emerich (---.sl.psu.edu)
Date: February 14, 2005 06:19AM

Shanon:

Try Neals, he's on the left side of this forum. He might have what your looking for.

Randy

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 14, 2005 08:58AM

Though I am not certain about this I think I may have seen such blanks in Mudhole's website.

These cheap blanks are great for building kid's rods, "guest" rods, or inexpensive "backup" rods. You can cut them up for repair parts too.

Lou

Date: February 14, 2005 01:01PM

thanks, I want them for cheap "guest" rods and I work at a group home and would like to build some rods for my kids.

Shanon

Posted by: james mc atasney(jimmy mac) (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 08:49PM

hi shanon,
try dick@comcast.net

( jimmy mac)

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.87.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: February 15, 2005 12:32AM

shanon... i asked because i just bought a couple of nice fly blanks, first quality, one was $14. you can get blems for cheaper, but $14's already insanely cheap and believe me, i AM cheap ;-)

good luck

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: February 15, 2005 02:09AM

eric,

which blank did you get for $14? The biggest difference is that sometimes you can get a wonderful rod that doesn't look so great for super cheap vs. a good looking rod that's a dog, for $14.

Shanon

Posted by: Ed Michura (---.kcnet.org)
Date: February 15, 2005 05:20PM

eric zamora Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i'm just curious... why do you want cosmetically
> blemished fly rod blanks?
>
> eric
> fresno, ca.
> (your email is hidden, otherwise i would have
> asked this privately)

When you can get blems for around $1/foot, you would be crazy not to! Usually the mfg doesn't want disclosure but it doesn't take much to figure out that you just made a kilin'. These blanks produce quality, affordable rods.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.43.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: February 15, 2005 06:38PM

ed, rod blanks for $1 a foot sounds great, i can easily see why someone would jump at something like that. but we're talking about blemished blanks of which i have zero experience.

what kind of blemishes are usually encountered?

a blank for under $20 guaranteed as top quality from that particular manufacturer (or the dealer) sounds great to me when it comes with a basic understanding that what i would receive is top quality. although there are instances of surprises with new, top quality blanks (st croix stands out in my mind), the added insurance and piece of mind for not using blemished blanks is worth about $10 more. keep in mind, these are low priced blanks i have experience with. low priced but good quality.

call it fear of the unknown for me. how many use blemished blanks and what kind of blemishes are usually encountered?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Tim Hough (---.phila.k12.pa.us)
Date: February 16, 2005 01:03PM

Most cosmetic blems that you will get will have slight color changes over the length of the blank. Other times you see paint/color sags or drips that can be removed if they need to be, usually at the tip section. Sometimes (but rarely) there may be a slight bend to the tip section, usually not as bad as bamboo rods often have though. Blanks that have big bends don't make it out of the factory. I build on blems quite often and when speaking to someone who sold blems was told that he is careful with them and only sells ones that are truely usable because his reputation is on the line and he didn't want to deal with annoyed customers who won't come back because of a $10 blank.

2cents,
Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster