I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thinking & planning for Charlotte....
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 08:48PM

First - I am not selling anything at Charlotte. I never make up rods in advance on "spec". I do make them as "test cases" which usually wind up in my garage or shed, or in the back of my truck ( "just in case" ) What I will have with me are three saltwater fly rods (on American Tackle blanks) that I've made up for people to test cast as well as some other freshwater fly rods that I've done for myself over time on different manufacturer's blanks - again take them over to the casting pond. I'll also have several surf rods with me (on Rainshadow blanks) - mostly to show the color changes that are possible on blanks - and that people can "toss" if they can find the room - but you're gonna need over 100 yards clear space with 2oz of lead for these as they are "rockets". Likely will also bring along a standup tuna rod with a mix of All American rollers and conventional guides and home computer label on it. I'm also bringing my (very used) rod wrapper with me for people to use to demonstrate / share techniques with each other on.
And I'm also going to bring some other "toys" that people can use (a digital gem scale from another past time) to weigh guides on should they wish to; a pieced, but not glued rod blank to demonstrate repair of a broken blank and some other 'stuff' - just going to depend on what "fits" the display area. If anyone is thinking about attending both days I'll probably switch out some things Saturday / Sunday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinking & planning for Charlotte....
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 09:34PM

Ken,
You had better bring something to sell to cover the cost of your booth and your other costs and all of your time or are you just a heck of a nice guy? Where did you get those rockets? Are you going to bring your dog?

Re: Thinking & planning for Charlotte....
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 09:52PM

Emory,
How to answer? Sure, I'm just a heck of a nice guy?? I saw the show in Charlotte last year and recognized the potential for a true National Gathering - at a very reasonable cost to the attendees. Since then, judging by the seminars, the demonstration booth Tom set up and the vendors who have signed on it has improved significantly. I just couldn't NOT be there. I committed to it before I left Charlotte last year because of the venue, attendees I spoke with and the PEOPLE that had booths there. One really unfortunate thing about the Rainshadow "rockets" is they're on the discontinued 1262 blanks that someone got for me ... the last ones... no more (sob). But I'll have a 1264 (color change blue/green) and likely a 1267
(Washington RedSkins rod) there as well . No, Kasey will be staying at home. She'd freak out with all that epoxy nearby ... LOL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster