I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod Ready-to-Use Rod Finish?
Posted by: Tom Goodner (---.sttl.dial.netzero.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 12:29PM

Hello,
Have any of you used the Gudebrod Ready-to-Use Rod Finish? It's labeled as Regular Build. If so, please let me know your thoughts & experience with this product.

On a side note, do any of you use U-40 Perma Gloss for your thread wraps? If so, please let me know how many coats you normally use in a fly rod application. I'm thinking of buying some for use over inscriptions, logos, etc., but wonder about its use for guide thread wraps.

Thanks for any info!

Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod Ready-to-Use Rod Finish?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2005 02:32PM

I have used PermaGloss on guide wraps. I find it takes 4 to 8 coats dedending on the depth I want.

The Gudebrod is not bad at all. I used to use it on repair work and found it gave a nice look after 3 to 5 coats. I cannot speak to its long term durability, however. Hopefully somebody else will let us know how it stands up.

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: February 13, 2005 02:37PM

I use it on ice rods...3 coats and have not got any back with loose guides

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Gudebrod 822
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.0.39.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 07:07PM

Tom G.,

Do you mean the Gudebrod labeled 822, water based varnish? If you do, then I can say I have used it a lot with great results. It has a color preserver effect so if you don't like that, put down a thin coat of epoxy to soak the wraps first and darken the thread. When used on its own, it takes 4 or more coats like Tom K. says. My most used rod is 4 years old with lots of use and no signs of wear.

Permagloss takes the same number of coats, but darkens the thread and requires a brain transplant from the fumes. Of course a respirator with the right cartridges would do the trick or work outside with the wind at your back.

Steve

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 09:56PM

Tom G,

I use it on all my underwraps to lock the threads in before wrapping the top layer. I used it in a 3wgt that I had to get done in a hurry for christmas and it worked great. Applied 6 coats in 1 day and the finish looked great. Like Steve said it helps retain original color of the thread. I wish 2 part epoxy would flow as nice as that water based epoxy does. Makes a great level finish on long butt wraps. As for how long it will last once the rod starts fishing only time will tell. I think I saw posted here awhile back that someone stated about 2 years before it needed recoating. I'm setting up an American Matrix fly blank for myself and going to use the one part epoxy and will see how it lasts.

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2005 10:38AM

Because there is no actual "one part epoxy" we need to remember that the Gudebrod product is something else entirely, regardless of what they call it. Doesn't make it bad, but I don't think any of us should expect the same kind of longevity from it as we get from true epoxies.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 14, 2005 04:47PM

Milton. The Klass Kote epoxy paint does flow like a varnish.

Posted by: Tom Goodner (---.sttl.dial.netzero.com)
Date: February 14, 2005 09:34PM

Thanks for all the replies!

Steve,
The stuff I'm thinking about is Gudebrod # 840. The label states "Ready-To-Use Rod Finish Regular Build". It appears very thin in the bottle, & is only supposed to take 15-20 minutes to set before another coat can be applied.

I've use Dura Gloss LS Supreme on my last several rods with excellent results. Just thinking, you know? Haven't decided if I'll try this on just the inscription / logo area, or use it on the thread wraps, too.

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster