I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

a 9 foot rod that is not 9 feet
Posted by: Howard Thiery (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 11:15AM

I recently took a rod building course and in it built my first rod. (I am thoroughly bitten by the bug) I believed I was building a 9 ft 4 wt 2 pc rod. After completing it at home (applied the finish at home) I purchased a sleeve and tube for it and in doing so discovered the rod is actually 9ft 5 inches. Is this common? I measured out the 9 foot winstons I own and they measure 9 feet (go figure). Just curious for future building.
Thanks in advance for your insights,

Howard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: a 9 foot rod that is not 9 feet
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 13, 2005 11:40AM

Did you install a seat with a fighting butt? That would add some extra length.

Then again, you may have gotten a 9' 6" blank by mistake. Exactly what is the model number?

Date: February 13, 2005 12:02PM

Nope no fighting but......

as to serial number..the gentleman who taught the course is a local commercial rod maker whose shop has "proprietary blanks" so I have no way to find out who made it or to what specs. This was not a high end rod by any means, but i did learn the basics to get me started.

Thanks,
H

Date: February 13, 2005 03:30PM

The first few digits usually indicate the overall length of the blank. I think I would go back and ask him about any discrepancy in length. At least he should know what you have there.

Date: February 13, 2005 04:46PM

Thanks Tom...I Gather that it is an unusual situation and that I should be able to expect a rod to be the length of the blank

Date: February 13, 2005 05:45PM

The finished rod can't be longer than the original blank, unless you mount a seat or a tip on there that extends past either end of the blank.

Date: February 13, 2005 06:11PM

right and my mistake was not measuring the blank prior to building..which is a good lesson in and of itself

Posted by: Anonymous User (206.73.5.---)
Date: February 14, 2005 08:38AM

Howard,

Did you measure the blank put together? Did you take into account that when you break a rod down to fit for a tube, you take the length, divide by the numebr of sections, and add 2.5" for the ferrules? I'm betting that's the part you missed. Now that you see each section is 56.5", you're assuming that the rod length is 5" longer when in fact the ferrule overlap is there.

Measure the rod put together and let us know what happens.

Thanks,
Rick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster