I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

question for jim kastorff
Posted by: Anonymous User (63.146.104.---)
Date: February 12, 2005 06:27PM

in RODMAKER MAG. vol. 4 issue #3 you had a photo and a left list of a mermaid requiring 60 threads. my question is (out of ignorance), can it be done w/5 less threads? my loom only holds 55 threads. maybe i should use tape for the others? thanks john

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question for jim kastorff
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2005 08:09PM

shouldn't have bought that Mudhole loom!!!
Sorry, couldn't resist! Only one that has 55 threads that I know of, I used to have one prior to switching to the foam based looms.
Gotta use 60 threads for that pattern, if it is the Mudhole loom you're using it would be hard to use tape also for the extra 5 threads. You might be able to somehow label threads 56 through 60 and double them up in the slots for threads 51 through 55(put a small piece of masking tape on each end and number them). Also you don't want to use a spring loom with metallic threads like I did in the pic of the mermaid, the spring chews up the metallic threads. I don't think I'd spend the time to see if that would work, stick to 55 or less thread patterns till you get a bigger loom. Lot of patterns out there bigger than 55 threads but then you need fatter blanks for the patterns to look good also. You don't want to have to turn the blank to see the whole pattern. I like to be able to see the whole pattern when I'm fishing or the rod is standing in the rod rack on a boat. Email me for more info-

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 08:43PM

Jim,
Do you mean you actually fish with those beautiful rods that you make??? I would just hang one of your rods on the wall and admire it.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 12:54AM

I second that, Emory-I wouldn't dare fish with it knowing how much time it took and how pretty it is!

Date: February 13, 2005 09:13AM

Randy Parpart (Putter) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I second that, Emory-I wouldn't dare fish with it
> knowing how much time it took and how pretty it
> is!

i would! i'd fish w/one on a pier hoping to catch one of those "hot mommas" that hang out there. those poles would work better than walking a puppy in the park.

Date: February 13, 2005 09:14AM

Randy Parpart (Putter) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I second that, Emory-I wouldn't dare fish with it
> knowing how much time it took and how pretty it
> is!

i would! i'd fish w/one on a pier hoping to catch one of those "hot mommas" that hang out there. those poles would work better than walking a puppy in the park.

Fishing with fancy/expensive rods
Date: February 13, 2005 01:54PM

Gotta tell a story about fishing with fancy rods. I HAD a very rare 8' black Truline rod that was one of my favorite alltime rods. Had a long A thread split diamond wrap and 3 A gold thread weaves. Usually fished it with a Shimano Trinidad 30 reel with 40# line for throwing iron to yellowtail and small tuna.
Took my 23 yrs son on our annual 4 day tuna trip last summer. He had never thrown iron. A deckhand was just nailing the yt on iron on the bow , my son was watching, and the deckhand said to get his rod and he'd cast it out for him. so my son handed him my 8' Truline, he threw is out and handed it to my son who immediately hooked up and caught a nice yt. My son thought that looked easy so he tried, unfortunately he pulled a rookie mistake and left the reel in gear when casting and the rod pulled out of his hand and into the big blue ocean.
It now rests in approximately 150' of water off the north end of Guadalupe island. Burial services were attended my close friends and family only, i'm close to tears as I write this, never got mad at my son, he felt bad enough for both of us, I do gently remind him occasionally of the benefits of casting with the reel OUT OF GEAR.

Posted by: Richard E. Case (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 03:36PM

What do you mean you never got mad at your son? I thought you said burial services were held??

Hi Jim,
Was at your shop several month ago looking at your work and the looms that you make.

Rick Case
RodsByRick

Date: February 13, 2005 06:17PM

hi rick, did you ever make a loom? Do any weaves yet?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster