I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Attaching Small Guides
Posted by: Gerald Guinn (---.knology.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 11:36PM

I seems that I am always building fly rods with single foot guides and having a difficult time with the temporary guide attachment. I have tried several techniques but am currently having the best success with hot glue applied with a glue gun. I am careful to clean up excess glue around the foot, but there is always some excess under the "tunnel". Will this weaken the epoxy bond? What are some of the sucessful temporary attachments used by others?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Attaching Small Guides
Posted by: Hugh Miller III (---.dalect01.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 11:47PM

I use surgical tubing available from Mudhole and others. It comes in various sizes.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 12:02AM

I've used tape for the longest time. Fairly recently I started using the tubing, which I have grown to love. But on the really thin stuff, I still use tape strips. I've never gotten the hang of using glue. It dries too fast on me, and I have never liked the feel of moving the guide once it dries. It just feels like the guide is always resting crooked on a wad of dried, rubbery glue.

Posted by: Travis Thompson (---.mdsnwi.tds.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 12:31AM

rubberbands from teeth braces. Very small and easy to use.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 07:32AM

It may not be true "surgical" tubing, but I use the type of tubing found in hobby shops that carry RC models, the tubing is used to carry the RC model fuel to the engine and comes in various diameters. I generally buy several diameters in three foot sections and slice them into small donuts with a widget (single edge razor blade in a holder). Then slide the appropriate size down the rod to the beginning guide placement, put a few more than needed in case you break a few or might need a little more support for a few guides. Once the guide is wrapped sufficiently I then slice off the band from the blank upward using a #11 XACTO knife blade.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2005 10:18AM

Small strips of tape. The trick is to apply the tape to the guide foot, then lower the guide to the blank and press the tape to the sides of the blank. Too many builders try to put the guide on the blank and then try to wrap tape around both. That's too hard and cumbersome.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2005 10:50AM

Also, with that thin strip of tape, fold it back on itself at both ends, so you have non-sticky handles so you can remove it easily at the right moment.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 01:05PM

I'm a big fan of the rivet gun, works every time!

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 01:58PM

the smallest electrical zip ties i can find. work great on the smallest of guides. cut them off with dikes
when the wrap is five or six wraps up teh guide.

Posted by: John Dow (204.60.205.---)
Date: February 12, 2005 02:12PM

I still use tape at times , but have grown to like the Flex Coat guide foot adheasive for the small SF fly guides . For the bigger stuff like casting and surf guides , I still use masking tape . I like Scotts idea , LOL......... JD

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 12, 2005 03:14PM

I'm with Ray! Can't beat the ease of model/hobby tubing sliced in thin "rubber bands. Just slide them on to the blank and slip the guide feet into them.

Real easy to move guides around for testingMike

Posted by: Jim Fitzpatrick (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 09:47PM

I tried Travis' idea (rubber bands used for teeth braces). Worked great! The problem is, I had to use a whole spool of masking tape to tape my son to a chair so I could get the rubber bands back on his braces after I was done with them.

Posted by: Authur Mercer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2005 10:00PM

I use the twist ties that come on a loaf of bread. Just wrap around and twist one time. No tape residue to deal with and nothing to have to roll down the blank. This is the easiet and quickest method I have found to date.

Posted by: Duane Larson (---.112.201.86.eau.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 13, 2005 10:48AM

Hello, I'm very new to rod building and to I was looking for a better way to hold the small guides on the rod and have it be user friendly to be able to adjust the guide to line up properly with the others. I know Mud Hole has that surgical tubing. But a light came on and this is what I have started to do. I'll make a long story a little shorter. I use the black rubber O rings that are in the plubing section of a hardware store. In this case here in Eau Claire Wi. It is Menards, I've got them small enough so I can use them down to about the 7th or 8th guide then I go back to using masking tape or guide melt. Wether they are single foot or double foot you just roll the rubber ring over the guide foot and adjust your guide to the properalignment and start your wrap. On double foot guides I have used 2 rings if you want your guide a little more stable. The only draw back is these rubber rings cost 30 to 47 cents and some you have to cut cause of not wanting to stretching them over the guides. Well I hope this helps it's an idea anyway

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2005 12:43PM

I use surgical tubing (MudHole and others carry it) and for the really small diameters the RC model gas line tubing. I prefer the gas line tubing for the small guides because it has a large outside diameter and tends to hold better (less elasticity than thin surgical tubing with the same I.D.) - and it's readily available - and it's downright cheap at .30 / foot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster