I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weave Patterns
Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 09:20PM

I've started to learn a little about weaving and am looking for any & all info/tips about doing weaves from scratch. Several folks have patterns for sale, but I'm interested in learning how to come up with my own patterns.

Vic Dunaway's book, "Sport Fish of the Atlantic" appears to have fairly good color pictures of east coast/gulf fish to work from, and I'm working on a Red Drum pattern.

What is the best way for coming up with useable weave designs, etc.? Technique? I build fairly small diameter rods for inshore saltwater fishing (surf, sound & tidal rivers). Doc Ski's video is helping a lot.

Thanks,

Stan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weave Patterns
Posted by: Mark Gordon (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 10:02PM

Stan;

You've got Doc Ski's video -- that will be a great help. The second thing that will help is get some patterns so you can study them. also look at the photo pages on this site.

I am going to explain in some detail and parden me if I too elementary but I for this response will assume you are starting from scratch and are in the early stages of learning the craft.

In any case -- First you need to understand left lists and how it they are used to weave a pattern. A pattern is placed on a grid with x and y axis. Each row or column on the grid represents a thread in the pattern. The vertical axis (x) represents the thread wound around the rod. The horizontal axis (y) represents the thread the generates the pattern. Depending on whether or not the thread is moved right or left dictates the resulting pattern. To imagine the grid think of an excel spreadsheet, a cross stitch template or graphing paper. Each row and column is numbered.

The cheapest way to generate a pattern is to get some tracing paper ( I use drafting vellum paper) with grids and trace an image and fill in the cells (boxes) to color in the area of the pattern. Depending on the image you will also want to add some contrast. e.g. if a fish with a fin on the side you will want to offset the fin from the body of the fish so that it stands out. Generally this is done by leaving the area blank (no thread). You will likely need to blow the image up and will need large enough tracing paper so that you have enough thread count in the actually resulting weave pattern that it will fit your rod. You'll need to plan this out -- and will be different for different size threads.

another way is to use microsoft excel and import the image and set the image as a background watermark. A little more work is required but it works. There are also crossstitch programs out there that will allow you to import and image, recolor and set grid sizes. I have found this to be the easiest and cleanest method. In all cases, you still have to manually generate the lefts list. You should number each row and column starting at 1 where the first thread is located. For the columns number 1 ... ## starting from the left. For the rows number 1...## starting from the top left. If you don't have a lot of space number in increments of 5 or 10.

About creating the left list;
To figure out how many wraps you will need to make - count, starting from the left all the columns. This will represent the number of wraps you will need to complete the weave. So for instance there are 50 rows and 70 columns that make up the image you will have 70 wraps to complete and require 50 threads you will work into the weave.

Then for each column starting from the top identify each cell in the columm that contains a thread and note the numbers of the cells the threads are in for the column (wrap step) you are working on. So lets say you are on column 1 and you have filled in cells in rows 25-28 and 37,50. This would be the left list for wrap 1. So when you start a wrap -- all the threads are to your right (unless you set your pattern up as a lefty but lets assume right). When you are adding threads to the pattern you need to move them left. The pattern is acctually formed when you move the left thread to the right back over the wrapping threads you just wrapped around the rod. This make sense?

Tools
I highly recommend that if you start to weave with any frequency you go get a weaving jig. You can get them from a number of sources; Mudhole has a 50 thread weaving jig, Renzetti sells the Wonder Weave. I think this was designed by Jim Upton which does 360 deg. weaves and Jim Kastorff sells different sized weave jigs which are what I use. I believe with each you will get some number of patterns. A worth while investment.

Hopefully this helps. You can email me with any additional questions and I can actually send you a pattern or two with the left list so you can study them. Also, if you email me I can tell you the program I use to create the patterns.

Happy Weaving
Mark

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 10:09PM

Doc Ski himself has been posting here for the past few days. Maybe he'll chime in.

Bill in WV

Date: February 11, 2005 10:12PM

Thanks Mark,

That info is very useful to me, and many others taking up weaving.

Appreciate the help/guidance.

Sta

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 10:32PM

Be patient, there is a great weaving program in the works which hopefully will be released soon. I'm hoping it will greatly simplfy developing weave patterns. I still use the old graph paper method, tracing a pic after I've reduced/enlarged it to the size I want on the graph paper. then developing the left list like previously posted.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 11:57PM

I've never used a commercial pattern. Always made my own on graph paper. One square equals one thread each way. I use A size for weave and wrap.

I also have never made a left list. I just use the pattern. In the weaves I've done I could probably make a left list, but I just use my pattern and a highlighter. For me, it's easier than looking at numbers.

Posted by: Dave D'Ambrosio (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 06:41AM

Stan,
I would highly recommend getting one of Jim Kastorff's weaving jigs. It's quick and easy to set up and the jig will last a long time without having to replace the foam inserts. He's also very supportive with instructional assistance and his works speaks for itself. He'll even throw in many patterns with a purchase. Can't beat it!

Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.or2.marketscore.com)
Date: February 12, 2005 09:15AM

If you can learn to weave right from the graph paper image...you will be light years 'ahead of the game'. I believe this is easier for a new weaver to learn ,rather than to wean a person off the 'left list'.....

one of those magnetic board & ruler gizmos work well, just slide the ruler to the right one row at a time & move threads accordingly. ( practice,practice,practice)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2005 10:19AM

RodMaker had Jim Upton's article on this in a past issue. If interested, just check the back issue page. It was in one of the volume 6 issues.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2005 04:10PM

Hi Stan
Sorry to take so long in chiming in. Been working YUK. Looks like you have gotten some pretty solid advice. Feel free to contact me any time for some hints. One I can think of right now is get an IGFA book. It is a great sourse for accurate details. Also my phone number is on the tape so use it and call me, just remember I am on Pacific Time and usually dont rise til 9am and dont answer after 9pm. I love to yak. It really is way easy until you start getting crazy like Hiro and Jimbo (just kidding buds) Honest I am here to help

Date: February 12, 2005 07:34PM

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. You've gotten me on a good track!!

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster