I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wood casting reel seat...
Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: February 11, 2005 05:58PM

I just posted a photo of a all wood casting reel seat a buddy and I have been working on. This is the first one we made and are currently working on some other designs also. So tell me what y'all think?
Thanks,
Noel

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wood casting reel seat...
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 06:23PM

How did you make it?

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 06:29PM

Noel, that's pretty slick! You've been Whittling again. LOL. How are you planning on attaching the hood?

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Date: February 11, 2005 06:35PM

Hey guys,
Doug, No I havent be whittlin' if I did it you probably couldnt tell what it was supposed to be. hahaha!! I plan on getting a skeleton seat and using the front hood with the threads and attaching it to the seat where it necks down, just like the old Pac Bay wood seats did.

Gerry, it was made on a lathe by a buddy of mine who is an ace on this lathe. He could probably do brain surgery with a lathe. I woul;d really like to see Andy and this guy get together and turn some stuff, no telling what they could come up with!!
Take care,
Noel

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 06:56PM

Noel, That seat is very impressive! If you make them for sale I am interested! It would frame a Shimano Conquest beautifully. Kudos!
David

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 08:05PM

I am really impressed that it was done on a lathe. I used to be a fair machinist but that's way beyond anything I could ever have done.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 08:17PM

Very Impressive!! If you guys plan on selling any, remember my E-mail address

Mike

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 08:51PM

Noel,
What type of wood did you use? Is it stabalized? If you are going to make these I would also be interested in buying some from you.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas3.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 10:00PM

Nice Noel! I'm working on something similar but in bone, although not on an eccentric lathe, just hand.

That's gonna look sharp once finished, especially if you tie it into a grip of the same wood!

Great work

Date: February 11, 2005 10:35PM

Thanks guys,
This seat was done in Walnut, just something we had laying around here. We are probably going to try in some sort of stabilized wood soon. I am really excited about this, and I was also amazed that we could actually do it after all the trial and error.........lots of error. lol. But I think we got it down now.
Thanks again,
Noel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster