I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread suggestions for a charcoal blank
Posted by: Steve Pierson (---.boi.fiberpipe.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 03:49PM

My personal preference is for no frills rods with minimal trim work - I want a high performance fishing tool. I am building a steelhead rod on a Cascade Composites clear finish blank - blank is a dark gray color. I am planning to use Flex Coat color preserver and lite finish.

I want to wrap the guides with a thread that will be a close match to the blank color when finished. I will do some test wraps, but what colors of thread would be a good place to start - black ? or gray? or some other color?

I will do trim bands in orange. What brand of thread gives the brightest orange color? Which is most resistant to fading over time?

Thanks to all of you for your assistance. This website has one of the most helpful bulletin boards I have found on the internet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread suggestions for a charcoal blank
Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: February 11, 2005 04:21PM

Steve, I have built mostly on Rainshadow matte clear blanks, and have used the following combinations on the guides without CP, and allow the colors to blush. A. Brown, metallic gold trim, B. Garnet with Metallic gold trim, C. Cobalt Blue, with metallic gold trim, D. Dark Green, with metallic gold, and or copper. E. Black with gold metallic trim, metallic silver trim, metallic red trim. The colors are endless, I use grey thread with Cp as under wraps for feather inlays, I also do feather inlay on metallic silver, gold, copper, and Blue. My favorite is cobalt with gold trim, but I am partial to blue. I have tried to use charcoal thread, but it did not appeal to me. Just a few suggestions , I use gudebrod thread. Also a lot depends on the guide frame color, silver, gold will tend to show through on all but the darkest threads also. As far as orange I don't know which is better. good luck

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 04:38PM

Problem is not all charcoal blanks are the same shade. My Austin All Star is the lightest, my SCIIIs are the darkest, and my Gloomis is in the middle. I recently redid my Gloomis GLX with Gudebrod 720 gray without CP. The thread is light colored until the finish hit it and it turns almost transparent and lets the blanks show thru - but it is a snitch lighter in color than the blank. I used Gudebrod 441 charcoal for trim bands for a slight accent. If I had used the 441 for the entire wrap it would have looked nice although just a tiny bit darker than the blank. I wrapped my Austin All Star in 441 charcoal and it stands out against the blank slightly but is a smooth looking transition. And I'm going to use plain black without CP on the St Croix because it's the darkest. Good luck.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 04:43PM

Duh - after looking at my Austin All Star again, I realized I used the same 720 gray with441 charcoal trim bands as I did on my GLX . The Austin is a much lighter shade of charcoal and the wraps show up a bit darker against it.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.avci.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 04:49PM

I too love a simple, understated rod. Here's my personal color choice for my rods.

Garnet nylon, no CP.

Turns a beautiful ruby hue when coated.

Understated class. Goes with most blanks.

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 05:58PM

I din't want any of you guys to take me wrong, because I enjoy reading your posts, but you died in the wool fly rod guys are a hoot.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Bob Leab (---.albyny.adelphia.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 06:34PM

Jet Black thread over jet black alconites is simply stunning.

Date: February 11, 2005 07:19PM

Richard Carlsen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I too love a simple, understated rod. Here's my
> personal color choice for my rods.
>
> Garnet nylon, no CP.
>
> Turns a beautiful ruby hue when coated.
>
> Understated class. Goes with most blanks.

Richard - Which type garnet thread - regular or NCP? And/or did you mean that you don't use any color preserver over the thread?

Thanks for the idea - I'll do a test wrap. Now I'm also thinking about using colors similar to a steelhead - possibly dark gray guide wraps with red and/or green trim bands.

Date: February 11, 2005 07:22PM

Bob Leab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jet Black thread over jet black alconites is
> simply stunning.

Bob - Thanks for that idea. I am using black Alconite guides on this rod, so I'll do some test wraps with jet black thread. What manufacturer? Gudebrod? another company? regular or NCP? Thanks.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.avci.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 07:57PM

Gudebrod Nylon R.W. #524

Posted by: John Dow (---.235.252.64.snet.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 08:02PM

Steve , you won't be dissapointed with the black , I like to put a couple of metalic pueter inlay threads in with the black.............. looks great . I use any strait black nylon , NO cp. It will look even better with the Alconites , I just finished a Dan Craft 6wt with this combo .......... real stealthy looking. John

Got Fish ?

Date: February 12, 2005 07:47AM

Steve, when you do your test wraps, use some kind of wetting agent. It's the high gloss that really makes it work. The result is a classic form follows function look. Any true black with no CP should work.

Date: February 12, 2005 08:21AM

Wrap a couple of guides on with black electical tape. You'll know real quick whether the look is what you're looking for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster