I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Size for 9' 9wt blank
Posted by: Scott Redmond (---.kalmbach.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 01:18PM

I have a Pac Bay Traditional series 9' 9wt blank that I am finally getting around to building. I am looking for some opinions on what guide sizes to use. In searching previous posts there seem to be a variance of opinions. I was considering using the following: 16,12,10,6,5,5,4,4,4,4,4,4, and a 5.5 tip or possibly 20,16,12,6,6,6,5,5,5,5,5 with a 5.5 tip. This is only my second build and the first heavy weight rod I've built. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Size for 9' 9wt blank
Posted by: Dan L Craft (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 01:36PM

Scott,

You can probably tape your guides on and test for the best size. You can keep getting smaller until performance gets worse and then jump back up a size.
Either setup you mentioned would work with a 9wt rod. If you plan to use a standard line with no loops or knots, the #16 stripper etc. would work fine. If you might be considering some river use with multi-tip lines, shooting heads, knots and loops and you might see some ice, I would go with the larger guides. Good luck,

Dan

Posted by: Robert Duncan (---.vetmed.vt.edu)
Date: February 11, 2005 01:56PM

Just built a 9 wt. for light saltwater. I chose a set up like your second option. I think I used 2 #6s and the remainder #5s. I chose an oversized loop for the tip. I also chose single foot RECs in 6 and 5 because I saw no need to continue reducing guide size smaller than the oversize tip loop. My intended target is false albacore and loop-loop connections and backing run through the guides frequently. It works for me, but I agree that taping guides and casting the different set ups would ultimately be most useful.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2005 10:17PM

For what you're wanting to use, I'd go 16 - 12 and then 4's on out. There is no need to gradually drop through sizes. Just get right down to the smallest guides that will pass your required connections.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster