I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Kudos for Photo Site
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 12:54PM

I spent a bit of time on the photo site(after finally figuring out the registration/verification) and all I can say is WOW!!! There is so much more of the painstakingly beautiful work being done now than even 5 years ago. You all deserve a giant pat on the back. Tom has done a wonderful job of giving us all a place to show our art and share so much info. In the past I think some rod builders fought to save their SECRETS but now I can feel the energy flow when I read and view what is going on in our craft. Many of you who have submitted photos have really inspired me to work on some new ideas and revamp some of my old stuff. When I can figure out how to take some decent photos I hope to join you all in sharing the delicate art form that we all enjoy. Thanks again to all or you and especially Tom and the Sponsors for giving us this venue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kudos for Photo Site
Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 01:32PM

How about some of your work?

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 01:32PM

Hopefully in the future we'll have a photo site that will exclude all the wonderful "dead fish" photos. Tom has mentioned this, but no time frame has been set.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 02:10PM

...and 11 pictures of one rod...

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.unifield.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 02:12PM

was it only 11?

Date: February 11, 2005 02:28PM

Hi Doug.

As soon as I can figure out how to take some decent pics I will submit some if I can figur out how to do it. Took me almost an hour to figure out how to register and make comments.

Date: February 11, 2005 02:36PM

Hey guys I didn't post this to set people off on its shortcommings. I haven't seen anyone step up to the plate and try to organize and monitor a massive site like this plus run a magazine. It like rod building - WE DO OUR BEST THEN WORK ON IMPROVING. My purpose for the post was really to give all rod builders past, present, and future appreciation for reviving a very old art. Sorry Tom, just ment to say thanks.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 11, 2005 02:45PM

I dont' think anybody here meant anything in a negative light. We've had some problems with the photo site and it could probably be better. The only question is, what do I need to do and when will I do it! Give me some time and we'll see what develops.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.138.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 03:35PM

Hay, Come on guys, leave Tom alone. He gets it done, in time

Doc'c thread work
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 04:03PM

If only you guys could see Doc's display of his work that he brings to the S. Calif fishing and boating shows put on by the Fred Hall group. I've seen it numerous times and I still look forward to looking again cause there is always something I've missed, absolutely an incredible display of thread work, weaves and butt wraps.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca1.elnk.dsl.genuity.)
Date: February 11, 2005 05:56PM

You can see them on Hiro's web site, www.hirods.net ,in the Doc Ski weaves section.

Jim

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.252.202.218.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 09:06PM

I think it would be great if Doc could make it to Charlotte and show off some work. What do you think??

Posted by: Peter Merritt (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 09:09PM

Doc,

I just looked at the photos of your work at the link that Jim posted. You do extrordinary work! I guess I need to quit buying rods so I can buy a copy of your video and have a try at weaving myself. Once again, superb work and nice seeing you on the board.

Peter

Date: February 12, 2005 04:18PM

Thanks to all you guys. I would love to make one of the conventions but it seems like between my west coast shows, work and all my RESEARCH AND DEVELOPEMENT trips to baja, I just plain run out of time - not to mention money. You never know though I might find a fish I need to tackle that direction. I would really love to meet as many of you talented guys as possible.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster