I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Time for a Power Wrapper!!!
Posted by: Joe Borawski (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 08:49AM

Hey guys-

I think it may be time to step up and purchase a power wrapper. I've begun building medium and heavy-duty boat rods for some people and think it would be a wise investment. I'm hoping to gather some information from those with experience regarding the best overall machine to suit my purposes.

Ideally, I'd like a unit that I'll be able to shape both synthetic and cork grips with, as well as make the process of underwrapping go considerably faster. I've been using the Flex-Coat hand wrapper for a bit over a year now and have become rather efiicient with guide wraps, etc. I'm sure I'll still be using this for flyrods and lighter in-shore blanks through the years.

So...I'd like to stay in the "reasonable" price range; not looking to drop more than $300-$400. Any thoughts on the pros/cons of the Pac Bay vs. Flex Coat wrappers? Does one unit perform certain tasks better than the other? BTW, before any makes this point, I'm unable to get to the show in NC this year--though I did enjoy the first one!

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Time for a Power Wrapper!!!
Posted by: Michael Sledden (208.21.98.---)
Date: February 11, 2005 09:13AM

If you do a search on here, I am sure you will find many posts that deal with this question. Has been asked many times before. If you are going to use it for both turning and wrapping, just make sure you have a good way of collecting up the dust when turning. Myself I like using my Jet lathe in the garage for turning handles and leave the mess there than in the room I wrap in.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.61.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 09:24AM

Also check the Buy Sell page

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 09:33AM

Hi Joe,

I second Mike's suggestion on a separate lathe for turning grips than your wrapping station. There are several lathe selections in the $100 to $160 range, and you can probably pick up a used Pac Bay power wrapper in the $200 to $250 range. Now you get 2 toys close to your
budget. :-) I just ordered a new Turncrafter Midi lathe from Penn State Industries and am anxiously awaiting its delivery.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Terry

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 10:58AM

Go with the Flexcoat OEM 747. It's great. One of the board sponsors from Texas (can't remember which one) had it for about $350.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 01:08PM

Personally, I wouldn't sant/turn at my wrapping station (just my opinion) I do it in another room on a Turncrafter. Dust is a builders biggest enemy

Mike

Posted by: steve runyan (---.palmer.mtaonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 04:15PM

Joe,

Pac Bay's Rod Smith wrapper is pretty nice, comes in from $300-350 retail. They just announced a deal through authorized distributors to include a free drying motor and roller stand with the purchase, to run through March. Its already a great value, and add a $95 dryer... makes it pretty sweet. Several board sponsors carry Pac Bay- its worth checking them out.

Steve

Posted by: Tom Erickson (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 07:21PM

Hi Joe, I`m in the same boat you are. I`m seriously looking at the flexcoat. I see your email is cox.net . I was going to email you but it comes up hidden. email me, we can discuss the lathe. Thanks Tom

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.va.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 09:55PM

Tom, Joe, if you are interested in a Flexcoat wrapper or have any questions give me a call at 804 746-9711 .The DL747 is a dream to use,until I got one about 3 weeks ago I was using a sewing machine motor ,all this time I had no idea what I had been missing out on. If you are looking for a deal give me a call.

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: February 12, 2005 03:54PM

After doing much research, I choose the Flex Coat OEM 747. I am very happy with this unit and find it to be real joy to use. I can not find anything I do not like about it. I bought it from Fishsticks4u ( one of the sponsor's of this site) who gave me an excellent price.

Rich

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster