I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

signature on rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: February 10, 2005 10:27AM

Did anyone ever use a product called GoldRite to put their signature on a fly rod? What is the easiest method. My penmanship is pretty bad.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: signature on rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 10, 2005 10:47AM

If that is the foil tape, then yes, I've used it and assume many others have as well. If your penmanship is bad, then it won't help you as you still have to write on the back of the foil. You're just transfering your signature to the foil which is then transferred directly to the surface it is held against.

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2005 12:24PM

If your penmenship is bad, and you want a professional look...
go to your local art supply or hobby shop ,and ask to see their "chart pak"
or "lettra-set" rub on lettering. It comes in hundreds of fonts ,sizes
and colours. It is EASY to rub them onto your blank, then put a layer
of protection such as epoxy over it.!

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: February 10, 2005 01:03PM

My hand writing looks like a 3rd graders. What I do is to carefully (like try to be neat) write the inscription onto a piece of paper the same size as the goldrite strip. I then tape the glodrite strip to the blank and tape the paper over the goldrite. Then trace over what was written on the paper. This same technique works great for putting a customer's own signature on a rod.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 10, 2005 01:32PM

Make it easy on yourself! Check out Decal Connection. Great custom gold or silver metallic water slide decals that are great. You can buy just one if that's what you need

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: February 10, 2005 01:52PM

How do you put those water slide decals on a rod. I read about them but I'm not sure. Are they expensive?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2005 01:57PM by Bruce A. Tomaselli.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 10, 2005 01:57PM

If you click on to Decal Connection's site, Jimi Ellis has a very good set of instructions to follow. Too bad we can't copy and paste this from his site!!

Putter

Posted by: Noel Spann (12.39.180.---)
Date: February 10, 2005 01:59PM

Bruce,
I second getting some decals from Jimi @ Decal Connection.
As far as how you apply the decal....
You put down one coat of finish. When thats dry you cut out your decal and soak in warm water for a few seconds, then you slide it onto your rod and there you have it. Make sure its where you want it and let it sit for 24 hours to dry. Then you put on another coat of finish on top.
Very easy and well worth it.
Hope this helps,
Noel

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 10, 2005 02:57PM

In addition to Noel's great instructions I prepare the surface with Micro Set, a liquid that makes a waterbreak free surface and helps the decal adhere. The 1 ounce bottle from Decal Connection costs a few bucks and will last a very long time; enough for hundreds of small decals.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 10, 2005 06:11PM

Bruce,

Speaking from experience, pay an extra buck and get the new waterslide paper, It's well worth it!!!! I agree on the Micro Set

Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2005 06:12PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: John Dow (---.snet.net)
Date: February 10, 2005 08:54PM

Go with the Decal Connection advice , the water slides are a piece of cake after you have done a few . Do yourself a favor , get 2 , I'm sure you will be building another rod a some time , and they aren't expencive . If you can remember building plastic snap -together models , it's like putting on the little decals.................. soak them for a short time , and slide them into place. Take the advice and get the Micro Set........... helps prevent sticking . Let the first coat of epoxy before the decal dry thuroughly !!!!
Good luck , have fun, John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 10, 2005 11:04PM

Couple of more tips on waterslide decals, dilute the Microsol or any decal setting soultion by 50%, most soulutions actually shrink the decal so it will fit around small details on models. You don't need that action for a smooth rod and if you are not careful, you could end up tearing the decal if you use too much full strength solution. You want the solution under the decal so as to make positioning easier.

Second, use distilled water, thus keeping any mineral waterspots to a very minimum.

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-66-174-7.myvzw.com)
Date: February 11, 2005 03:55AM

That "new" waterslide paper is awesome. I won't use anything else. no more signing blanks with pens for me!!!

Posted by: Warren Witkowski (---.nwlnnh.tds.net)
Date: February 11, 2005 08:25AM

I just got some of the custom decals from Mudhole. They came out really good and are very easy to put on.

Warren.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster