I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

0h, oh ALL STAR link
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 06:00PM

Seems the All Star link from this site is inoperative.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 0h, oh ALL STAR link
Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 06:04PM

May have something to do with their merger with Shakespeare?

Date: February 08, 2005 06:05PM

Could well be. I just looked for them on a search engine and could only find finished rods for sale through distributors...

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2005 06:08PM

Shakespeare has pulled the All Star blank program. There may be some news about a new program in the future but I don't know enough to speak about it. Be patient and see what develops. Please don't inundate with them with calls and emails. Thanks.

Date: February 08, 2005 06:14PM

Thanks Tom . I guess we could have / should have anticipated that corporate decision. We are fishermen therefore we are patient.

Posted by: William Harvey (---.nantahalabank.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 06:36PM

Wouldn't a little support for a good blank line be in order to help Shakespeare make their decision? They may take a lack of feedback as a sign of indifference from the rod builders. If I were making a decision about a product line constructive feedback would be welcome. I am NOT talking about pestering or a Spam campaign.

The world of quality surf blanks is already small enough...

Where is a good place to order some left over All Star 1267s?

Posted by: Doug Cox (---.neonova.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 06:39PM

Fishsticks4u.com did have some.

Posted by: Nathan Brock (---.mkethn01.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 07:50PM

The Glass Coat link isn't working either.

Nathan

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 08:03PM

William,
Try Andy Dear at Lamar Reel Seats. I believe he still has some. I know that he is taking some surf blanks to the Show but I don't know if he has what you are looking for. I talked to him Thursday and ordered some fly rod blanks at a very good price which I received today along with some of his fancy burl rings.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 09:41PM

What a shame! I hope somebody in the business realizes just how good Sharon Johnson was at what she did. I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit the plant while it was still in the control of rodbuilders. Hopefully, someone will figure out a way to make premium quality blank building a profitable business. Someone may find a rolling table at a garage sale somewhere and start a "cottage" industry in their garage. I would almost bet that the "gunsight" is aimed at St Croix right now.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Sharon Johnson (---.res.logixcom.net)
Date: February 09, 2005 09:14AM

I am currently in the process of preparing a proposal to submit to the corporate office to keep the blank program going. Thank you all for your patience and support.
Regards,
Sharon Johnson
All Star

Bill-Thank you for your kind words.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2005 09:29AM

Good luck Sharon! I'm going to have some mighty sad customers if the blank program goes by the wayside.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 09, 2005 11:41AM

Sharon - hope you are successful. I know the following is obvisous to you given your commitment to custom builders: It is my opinion that custom rods built on your blanks does not cannabalize factory rod sales. Just the opposite. I've had customers and fishing buddies that are so impressed with the quality of the blank in a custom rod built on an Allstar blank that they put Allstar high on their buying list when looking for factory rods in those cases where they do not need a custom. I think it speaks volumes when a blank is a preferred blank by custom builders who are extremely knowledgeable of what is on the market and what makes the blank technically superior. I think Shakespeare should rethink their decision, including going so far as to using the fact that a large number of custom builders prefer Allstar blanks. A play on "X% of dentists recommend Crest".

Posted by: Eric Sjo (---.rb.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: February 09, 2005 01:14PM

GO SHARON GO !!!!!!

Posted by: ryan white (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: February 09, 2005 02:43PM

hi all,
i was on the phone this morning with sharon jonson from allstar.
she assured me that i would still be able to get the rods that i have been selling, but it would be more of a private lable deal.
can't ignore sales!!!!
if for some reason the allstar plant shuts down i do have someone else lined up to build the blanks here in the U.S.A.

BEST REGARDS TO ALL
RYAN WHITE

Date: February 09, 2005 07:26PM

Thanks Ryan for the info. I'll miss the Hatteras Heavers (Breakaways) if they're not available ... but not nearly as much as you. I hope to
catch up with you sometime this coming fall --- planning a week excursion to the "Banks" to catch the drum run between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster