I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

removing epoxy residue from blank
Posted by: leo lecuyer (---.238.195.20.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 10:02AM

i have stripped the guides off of a rod i'm reworking, and would like to know what i can use to remove the reisdue thats left on the blank from the epoxy. i heated the epoxy under the guides then used a razor blade to cut a slice in it then used my fingers to peel off the epoxy with the guides, what i have left is a thin layer of epoxy on the blank where the guides used to be. any info you guys can give me will be of great help thanks in advance.
leo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: removing epoxy residue from blank
Posted by: Shawn Taylor (66.155.194.---)
Date: February 08, 2005 10:49AM

I use a cheap plastic pot scrubber from the grocery store. The idea is that the plastic will not scratch the finish of the blank. Heat the area with a hairdryer, and then apply even pressure with the scrubber to remove the epoxy. You may have to repeat the process a few times depending on how much epoxy there is. Take your time and be very carefull at the tip end of the rod. You don't want to put too much elbo grease into the tip section or you will end up with a shorter blank. I know from experience, LOL!

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 08, 2005 11:32AM

If the plastic-mesh scubber pad doesn't work, try heat + the use of a plastic picnic knife as a scraper or chisel to knock off flakes of epoxy from the rod blank. LOL, Cliff.

Date: February 08, 2005 11:41AM

thanks shawn and cliff, i was thinking along the lines of some sort of solvent. sounds like heat from hair dryer and some scraping is the way to go. there is not a lot of epoxy left on the blank just a thin layer, thanks again for the advice.
leo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2005 12:39PM by leo lecuyer.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 08, 2005 12:03PM

If the blank is not painted, you'd be safe to use isopropyl or denatured alcohol. That may help loosen the last little flecks of epoxy when you scrub / scape the blank again. Epoxy doesn't really dissolve once it's set; so, anything that would dissolve the epoxy is usually strong enough a solvent to mar or even remove the rod's native coating / finish. And you generally do not want to get into that if you don't have to. And it sounds like your job doesn't need that level of re-finishing. Best Wishes, -Cliff-

Date: February 08, 2005 12:41PM

10-4 cliff, will be doing some scraping tonite.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster