I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson blank 3#
Posted by: Kryspin Woszczyk (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: February 08, 2005 02:26AM

Hello,
I am going to build a fly rod on batson Blank. I need it to small and may be medium river to delicate presentation mostly dry fly. Could you please recomend me some baston blanks in nubmer #3 and not very long , I think about 7 -8 feet. I am thinking about RX7 series, it has very competitive prices I suppose. Any other suggetsion mostly welcome.

thank you in advice

Kryspin Woszczyk

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson blank 3#
Posted by: eric zamora (---.246.138.22.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 02:54AM

i am currently building a batson forecast 8 foot, 3 piece, 4 weight fly rod. paid under $20 for it from somewheres over there (<----). middle of the column. it feels nice, waving it around in my kitchen between rapping the refrigerator and scraping the cabinets. oops. i love the dark blue, especially compared to the older forecast teal shade of yuch. i ALSO am building a rod on a 7'-9" pacbay rainforest 2 piece, 3 weight blank. more whippier than the former. i'm going to have a hard time deciding which to use.

hey! i have two hands!!!!

i fish mainly small streams in the sierra, california, which are bigger than small streams in the eastern part of the US, for trout, lotsa pocketwater, mainly dry flies, little wind.

sorry, have only finished wrapping, haven't used them yet, but i went this route from suggestions i've read in the past. don;t fret too much, build, then build another! ;-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 08:54AM

Hi Kryspin.

That blank, Forcast F793-2 - 7'9" 3wgt - 2pc Fly Rod makes a great rod for small waters. I built one for a customer for xmas and he really loves it. I wrapped his in Gudebrod Teal thread no CP. I'm building anothe one right now with Gudebrod Garrnet with Teal trim wraps no CP - Itls really sharp. For the price of the blank you can't go wrong,

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 04:43PM

Kryspin--the Rainshadow RX7 is a great choice for what you described, particularly in the IF793 or IF804 models. Good all-round trout rods with superlative presentation qualities. Another blank to consider would have to be a Dan Craft Sig III. If you're interested, drop by our site for Dan's line-up or contact us directly for the Rainshadow as well as package discounts.

Warmly,

Date: February 10, 2005 07:13AM

thanks a lot for replies.
What do you think about Batson RX6 blanks . I assume they have slower action and maybe they could give more feeling ?
I amthinking about #4 lenghht 8 or something.

regards Kryspin

Date: February 10, 2005 09:59AM

Kryspin:

The RX6 is the forecast blank. They are really very nice blanks, especially for the price, but are a step down from the RX7 IMO. The IF804 (RX&) is a really full-feeling, nice fishing blank. I've built the same in the RX6 Forecast as well, and would personally spend the extra $$ (and it's not even that much) on the IF. But you know your budget and exactly what you're looking for! The Forecast will CC out in the high 50's to low 60's, the RX7 in the mid-60's.

Date: February 10, 2005 12:23PM

John:
thanks for reply. Its not about price . I am rather looking for something most feeling, when you have posibility to put fly very delicate on the surface in both short and long distance; the most important is aslo performing rod during you have a fish on a rod.
I am aware that it could be very difficult to find something at not very expensive prices that would be similar to Scott G or full flex Orvisa.
I assume that RX6 could be closer to these rods than RX7 but of course I may be absolutelly wrong.
any suggestion are mostly welcom.
regards
Kryspin

Date: February 10, 2005 04:26PM

Ahh--then you want the new RX7+ . It's a staggering blank and full of feeling even though it CC's out in the mid-60's as well (multi modulus changes the way it feels so you can't really compare apples to ??). If you can convince Andy Dear to let go of one of his All Star Elite blanks, that's a near perfect presentation trout blank. We have a customer that gobbled all all ours up after learning of All Star's (read: Shakespeare's) decision to can the blank program. I know Andy has some though. It's the closest thing I'm aware of to a Scott G type presentation stick. Dan Craft's Sig IV would be another choice.

Date: February 12, 2005 03:40AM

can you tell me how is RX7+ performing in short and middle long distance. I mean mainly about put fly and generally control your line when you are casting. If I choose #4 what do you think how distance can I reach with good control of my line.

Thanks for all your suggestion

kryspin

Date: February 13, 2005 11:35PM

Kryspin--sorry for the delay in getting back to the forum--we're right in the middle of back-to-back trade shows for a while! I haven't been able to test the RX7+ to the extent I have the RX8+, but by all indications it too will be excellent in close as well as empower long, smooth casts. It's a really great all-round fishing tool. I don't want to answer how far you can cast with good control because I don't know how you cast! :) I've got members of our Advisory Team on the G&L FlyCraft front that would cast a whole line with the 4wt and still put it right where they wanted it, but frankly they could probably do that with any of the Rainshadows. What I can tell you is it's one of the better all-round blanks on the market, but takes a definite back seat in my own opinion to the RX8+, but that's only because I'm IN LOVE with the latter series! :) I'm not sure where you're located, but if you're in the US or Canada, we'd be happy to sell the blank to you with a "satisfaction guarentee" (happy to do so outside of NA as well, it just gets more complicated with customs and duties!).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster