I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf rod: 8 & bait, 12 -15ft.
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.att.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 11:08PM

A man wants me to build him a 12 to 15ft. fast - mod.fast action surf rod to cast 8 & bait with 30 - 40 lb. test line. I need help finding blanks for this. Thanks. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf rod: 8 & bait, 12 -15ft.
Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.ec.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 11:17PM

Several options here. The Breakaway 1509 (12'6"), Lamiglas GSB 150-2 (12'6"), and Purglass 400-4 (13'0") will all get the job done. They are all very different blanks suited for different casting styles. If he doesn't have a preference then the lami may be the best bet because it is a more forgiving blank to throw. I would not go over 13', 12'6" is max for most experienced casters.

Posted by: Eric Riggs (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 12:50AM

Lami is the way to go...
In addition to what Clyde said check out the Lami Graphite G1000 Surf/Bar Rod Blanks
GSB1502MH (12'.6") ......to.....GSB1801H (15')

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2005 08:36AM

I don't know if this will help, but there will be a ton of surf blanks at the National Show in Charlotte just around the corner. If you can make it out, you could probably shake a few and decide what to go with.

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (66.155.194.---)
Date: February 08, 2005 11:04AM

Ralph, any more details? Where does the guy plan on fishing? What is his physical make up, is he a big guy? What baits and types of fishing does he want to do? The suggestions above are all good ones, but you may be able to get more specific suggestions based on those answers. I personally build a lot of Lamiglas.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 02:08PM

All good choices for sure. I can recommend the Lamiglas Surf and Jetty Series as a friend landed an 80# Blue Fin Tuna on one using 20# Trilene Big Game Green with a Van Staal 250. He accomplished this feat in September of 2003 and it is featured on Van Staal's web site.. www.vanstaal.com....Just click on Stripermike and enjoy the tale.

I gather the man who developed the Breakaway series for Allstar is now designing the Batson Rainshadows. This leads me to feel very confident in that direction as well. I also agree that 12'6" is the maximum length to consider. It would be best if your client could feel a few before choosing. Is there a well stocked surf shop near him?

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 03:20PM

I agree with Shawn - get his physical capability. The Allstar BGSW1509-2 is a monster of a blank, too stiff for the un-initiated. The Allstar BGSW1508-2 is a better choice for a first rod. The rods are cut long and are longer than specified. Both make great 8nbait heavers.

Lou

Posted by: Scott Hunt (---.arcadis-us.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 04:15PM

Don't leave out the Outcast 1265. A lot of folks on the NC Outerbanks love it. It will do 8nbait and more and is real light in weight. Available from Hatteras Outfitters. Not sure where else you can get one. I sure love mine!

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 04:43PM

Batson Enterprises - Rainshadow/Forecast has the 8 n Bait rod choice of many of surf fisherman. We have done our homework on ALL of our Surf Blanks and will be making a big push with them this year. We have had these models in the hands of some of the finest Surfcaster in the world. These models have been tested now for 4 years and we feel confident that they will do what you ask. We have added a few more models in the SU series and everyone that has fished them all love them. I believe every surf fisherman should try one, you will not be dissappointed.. We will have ALL of our surf models available to shake and feel in Charlotte , NC. We will also have the SU1509F*M model built up to be able to cast. Not sure where yet???

The Rainshadow SU1509F*M is the Blank for 8 n Bait. If you ever have any questions please feel free to contact us or one of our many distributors.
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast
wbatson@olypen.com

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 06:12PM

I will heartily second what Bill has already posted. I haven't tried their 8nbait series rods (yet) but I am in love with the 1264, 1266 and
1267's . Lots of the local surf casters locally are "going light" once they saw what can be done with a 3oz "sputnik" sinker or 2-4oz
bait feeder rig coupled with a Shimano 3500/4500B, Okuma EB series or Avet conventional reel and a circle hook for bait fishing -
and they're a whole lot easier on rotator cuffs and elbows than heavier rods for jetty hopping and plugging.

Posted by: Dan Martek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 11:50PM

Please forgive my ognorance. What does 8 n bait mean? Im new to surfcasting and rodbuilding.

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 02:05AM

Dan M "Please forgive my ognorance. What does 8 n bait mean? Im new to surfcasting and rodbuilding."
Simply....8 ounces of weight with a chunk of bait on the hook.

Posted by: Scott Hunt (---.arcadis-us.com)
Date: February 09, 2005 09:43AM

Eric, you're all over it. An 8nbait rod is a rod that will handle an 8 oz chunk of lead plus a big chunk of bait. Bait is often big enough (say a cob mullet head or a pogy head) that it is bulky and weighs several ounces on its own (point being the total package weighs way more than 8 ounces). True 8nbait rod (a true "heaver") can gun this package out of sight without thinking twice. (talking about conventional reel/rod setups, not spinning). These rods are frankly what got me into rod building (I am a recreational builder) because there was a time when you were hard pressed to find a commercial rod that would truly fit this bill, hence most of them were built custom. There are a few of them made commercially that come closer to doing it, but most folks that are serious about it build em or have them built. I don't know the other folks that replied to your post above, but I personally have relied heavily on Clyde Roberts for advice. He has been extremely helpful and patient with me. He definitely knows his stuff. Take what he suggests to heart.

Scott Hunt

Thank you!

Scott Hunt

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2005 09:54AM by scott hunt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster