I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MegaBass
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 06:28PM

This rod appears to have been weaved nearly 1/2 its length...or is that in the blank? [www.tackletour.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MegaBass
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2005 06:43PM

That type construction was prevelant in the US market about 30 years ago. With new and higher modulus fibers that can't be woven or braided, it fell by the wayside in the early 1980's.

Hard to tell from the photos. It could be an outer wrap of woven graphite like the new American Tackle Matrix rods have.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 08:07PM

Steven,
It says that it is woven graphite. It appears from the picture that the weave in at least the outer layer is at about a 45 degree angle. A 45 degree angle would essentially cut the modulus in about half if all the layers of graphite were at this angle. If you used material that had half the modulus to begin with and ran it straight up the blank you would get higher strain energy or toughness but that is not the case with this approach. The only advantage that I can think of is with this approach the graphite fibers will give you much higher shear and torque strength than when the fibers run straight up the blank. But with most blanks every other layer is scrim, usually glass, that provides shear and torque strength.
It looks a lot like a gimmick to me.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2005 08:23PM

It would be very difficult to even use a higher modulus carbon fiber in a woven or braided fabric. Very stiff fibers don't like such short bends.

I have no doubt that it may be a very tough blank, but I doubt it offers cutting edge performance.

Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: February 08, 2005 10:26AM

Hi all,

I can't speak about this with the technical expertise that the others have. Last year I bought a Megabass rod, a special edition Casting Rod, pretty high up their line, and I can attest that there is something very special going on in these rods. The feel of the rod is like nothing I have felt in my own personally built rods or any other North American rod I have tried.

Whether or not there is some gimmicks being advertised or marketed, I can't say but they do perform incredibly well. The rod is absolutely weightless in hand yet has a stout backbone and delicate tip that works wonders for cranking in stick baits, feeling the slightest tap and setting the hook. It has become my favorite rod for Bass fishing with Rapalas and top water baits, especially after I re-wrapped it with a spiral wrapped guide configuration. When I find some time, I plan to try and replicate this rod using a more readily available blank, but I'm not sure I can.

I am very good friends with the editor of the Tackletour article, and I have spoken with him at great length about these rods. In fact, I talked him into buying his first Megabass. He described it well when he says that the rod feels like a weapon or sabre in hand, you don't cast it, you "fire" it.

Anyways, just thought I'd add my 2 cents to this thread.

Best Fishes,
Mark

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Posted by: Gregory Monbleau (---.newhav01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2005 01:26PM

They certainly make beautiful rods. As for the Woven graphite portion you will notice 2 distinct things with this rod. 1) the handle is built on a straight woven grahite tube and 2) the woven graphite blank itself is only half way up. I think they do this because the woven graphite has a fantastic backbone quality to it and they are tough as nails you can actually develop a blank with woven graphite that is a smaller diameter yet has great power.. the upper half of this rod seems to be a very high mod graphite that is for the sensativity factor. It is kind of cool how they are able to meld the 2 together into 1 rod.

Gregg

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.ne.client2.attbi.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 05:10PM

I'd love to find similar blanks. Given all the new info/insight, are the Matrix blanks the same or similar as previously mentioned?

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 05:18PM

Mark: Did you weigh the blank before building on it, or does the maker supply the weights? Right now, the highest power-to-weight ratio I know about is found in the St. Croix SCV line. (An aside: the weights listed by St. Croix in their builders' catalog have been off by as much as 25%, but I weigh my blanks myself, and the SCVs are indeed very light.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster