I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Another black thread post
Posted by: Scott Hunt (---.arcadis-us.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 01:49PM

Saw the post a few down about how regular and NCP black threads finish out differently in appearance. Assuming that color preserver is not used, as I understand it, the NCP black thread doesn't end up looking truly black once finished, and the regular black thread does. What about the regular black thread fading because it isn't treated with color preserver? Will it end up looking "less black" than the NCP thread once faded? Just curious. I am only a recreational builder, so I don't have a lot of experience with stuff like this. So far have only used black thread to build a surf rod. Used NCP black size "D" to tie down the end of the cork tape grips. Was pleased with the way that I was able to build the thread wraps up and that the black thread "disappeared" once finished, but frankly didn't notice it not being truly black. I'm sure I wasn't thinking scrutinizing it along the lines of the above and might notice it if I go back and look now. Have several rod in progress now, one actually has some black NCP size A trim bands and several of the others will have cork tape tie downs with black thread. In each case, I was looking for true black color. What should I do/expect?

Just out of curiosity, how does black HT metallic stack up? Seems like I saw a post before about it not looking black either once finished.

Thanks!

Scott Hunt

Thank you!

Scott Hunt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Another black thread post
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 07, 2005 02:49PM

I've never seen regular black nylon thread fade to any degree that was noticeable. In fact, thread fading is more of a problem with lighter colored threads.

NCP black looks, to me, more like very dark navy blue. Regular nylon with direct epoxy appears much more like true black.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 03:08PM

I tried some HT black metallic in A, after finish was put on it didn't look any different to me than reg black thread.
I'm old, too me I can't see any diff in reg nylon and ncp black after finish is put on. I prefer reg nylon black cause it's stronger than ncp

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 04:42PM

Regular black nylon looks black when finished. NCP black assumes a grayish, chalk looking, tint to it. Still black, but the black level is not that dark..

Best for you to buy small spools NCP and nylon black and see it for yourself.. While you're at it try using color preserver on the nylon thread to see what it does to the thread color. I was involved in another discussion on the color preserver thread elsewhere on this board and thought I'd suggest this.

Lou

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 04:56PM

Color preserver doesn't do anything to prevent fading in the sun; most likely just the opposite. Fading can only be slowed by UV inhibitors. CP prevents a change of color when epoxy finish is applied to the thread wrap.

Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 07:03PM

Oh NO, Not CP again Go get'em Lou & Putter LOL

Hank

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.nas8.saint-louis1.mo.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 10:32PM

Scott,
Currently there is a test going on with 7 types of black thread, with no CP and two brands of CP, using permagloss, flex coat and LS supreme, high and low build of each.

Depending on the combinations of finish, so far it looks like HT metallic and regular nylon are the most black and least resistant to fading, though regular nylon is fading. This is after just three weeks of sun. NCP is not looking too good across the board, and was similar to me when they were all finished to the two types of Rayon used. They all had noticeable hints of blue/purple in the right light/angle just on application of finish. What is happening with rayon is amazing. A builder here who is a former photochemist that is involved with this test cannot explain what is happening with this stuff.

That's as much detail as I am comfortable with at the moment. There will be more posted later when more definitive results are noted and can be shown good in a pic. I will say this though. You couldn't pay me to use black silk right now on anything, and all of my black rayon is going into the trash. I wouldn't use it to mend a ripped seam in a shirt if I was trying to match black on black.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster