I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread tag ends
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: February 07, 2005 11:31AM

Is there anyway one can eliminate any visible signs of a thread tag that happens during tie-off? As a beginner, I don't understand how it can be avoided. If I cut any closer I'll cut the guide wraps. Any suggestions.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread tag ends
Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (---.mad.wi.charter.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 11:36AM

Bruce,
Before cutting the tag end, pull on it to stretch the thread. Then cut as close to the wraps as possible. When done correctly, the tag end will shrink under the thread wrap leaving a smooth surface. You might have to smooth over once with the burnisher, but other than that, that's it. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 12:52PM

And, if in spite of the above, if a bit of the tag end sticks out, just put on a coat of finish, let dry overnight, then shave off the tag end with a sharp razor blade. After a second coat of finish, not even you will know anything was there.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 01:03PM

Agree with both of the above. Put your tie off loop in early, pull it tight to the wrap, trim as close as possible, pull through. Your tag should be under the wrap. And if it does stick out, you can easily slice it flush after a coat of finish.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Scott Hunt (---.arcadis-us.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 01:15PM

Had the same problem, especially with "lighter" colored metallics. The black nylon core thread shows up contrasted against the ligther metallic wrap thread if not trimmed off so that it is under the thread wraps. Got the best advice here and haven't had a problem since. Pull your thread/string/mono, etc. pull through loop just tight enough to get the end of the thread you are wrapping with to just begin to be pulled under the wrap. With this tension you can then cut the thread off short enough that when the pull through loop is pulled under and out of the wrap, the tag end stays buried under the thread wrap and never protrudes and has to be cut off. I probably didn't do a very good job of describing it. You can do a search here and find much better explanations. Also, some guys have posted here about using some type of ultra sharp manicuring clippers to cut tags of with great success.

Scott Hunt

Posted by: Robert Adams (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 02:49PM

Have to agree with Matt and Tom, posting above. Fought the problem with these tag ends constantly and found their solutions to work great.
Bob

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 04:36PM

Put you tie off loop in the thread 5-8 turns before end, pull tag end through. Get tag end thread and pull in such a way that a gap is formed in thread. With single edge razor, place edge of razor in gap and on tag end thread, and press gently. Tag end thread will cut cleanly at a level below the level of thread - and no tag end fuzzies! This is the way I do all my tag end cuts. rarely do I get a fuzzy tag end.

Lou

Posted by: Andrew Petroski (---.sub-66-174-7.myvzw.com)
Date: February 08, 2005 04:52AM

I've started using the method where you cut your tag end before pulling it through so it is short enough to not come back out the other end with your pull-through loop. The only hurdle I had was that I had to make sure I placed my loop in earlier than I had been so the thread didn't come loose. 5-8 wraps over your loop should be good as mentioned above.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.dioceseaj.org)
Date: February 08, 2005 08:04AM

Thanks, Guys! That really helps, believe me. I thought there were 2 or 3 guides I was going to have to re-do. I have a buddy that's been trying to explain the method of cutting the thread as you're pulling it through the guide wraps so that it is hidden. I feel better knowing I didn't create myself a disaster. The wrapping part I have down. It's the trim that's causing me the most problems. Thanks again for being so generous with your knowledge. Bruce

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster