I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tap Plastics
Posted by: John Raymond (---.dsl.tc3net.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 07:49PM

Will tap plastic pigment mix with a low build guide finish to change the color of the blank? Saw Ken Preston,s clip on this on his site, he did use a different pigment. I have read on this site that using a guide finish for a blank finish is a no no. But they do this in Japan. I am going to give this a try, if it doesn,t work, well more reamer and repair stock

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tap Plastics
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 08:30PM

I haven't tried Tap Plastic pigment (yet) however, since lots of people are using this to marbelize I would assume that it will work just fine. If you're going to try this on a whole blank you will have to scuff the blank to increase the surface area and to break any factory applied finish. Scotchbrite or 600 grit emery cloth work fine for this. Then wipe down the blank with denatured alcohol to remove any dust and potential oils. I'll have a couple of rods with me in Charlotte - my own that were done with different pigments and flakes (color shift flakes) that people can see/handle. These rods have seen some serious use through last season & have been bounced around getting to/from the beach so you'll be able to see what they look like after they've been out to "play". I'll also be doing a show and tell at the rodmakers booth in Charlotte.

Date: February 06, 2005 09:30PM

Thanks for the reply Ken, i will be in charlotte so i am looking forward to the show and tell and meeting you. I am looking for a deep high gloss finish and i think this might work. John

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.123.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 09:36PM

Watch those No No's. Ken tints his and puts it on blanks for salt water and has no problems. I spray mine with auto colors ( like the metalics ) then apply thinned glass coat
Permagloss dries too fast for me, and the spray I did not like the look of it

Date: February 06, 2005 09:39PM

Bill, know what you mean about the spray, used spar and it didn,t level out to suit me .John

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.123.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 09:59PM

John
With the plasti-kote auto colors I find that warming the can in some hot water expands the contents and gives it a little more pressure so the paint comes out of the can faster whitch helps it level out on the blank. may help with the spar. I did not try it on the first can I used. maybe should have??

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.ca-sanfranc0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 11:37AM

I tended to be FAR too heavy handed with spray paint applications so I have switched to using an airbrush which gives me a much smoother and more even coat. Just spray the blank while turning on the drying motor and you are good to go. You can do fades and blends this way as well. I am experimenting with Createx airbrush paints on blanks right now and there is a bit of a bonding problem due to the fact that I am lazy and did not scuff the factory finish first, these paints also require a "baking" process to set the paint properly and that makes me a little nervous.

I am also experimenting with making my own custom colors using spar varnish and varathane as a base combined with pigments.

Hope to experiment with car paints soon as well as color shifting and metallic paints for my reel repair and refurbishing projects. Somewhere out there is a Pearl Blue with metallic gold accents old Mitchell 300 I did......She made me do it!....Reallly!...I swear!

Long live kitchen sink rob building!

Derek

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.183.85.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 05:29PM

Derek
That is why I always say ( dust coats ). Two works well for me

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster