I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Refinishing
Posted by: John Raymond (---.dsl.tc3net.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 03:43PM

I have an SCII stripped down to bare graphite, washed it with water and looked pretty good wet so i am thinking just a clear coat of some sort. Saw some minwax clear laquer spray at the hardware today was wondering if that would work or would it be brittle. I have permagloss and spar urethane also. This is one of those rods that just does not want to be rebuilt, it has been painted and stripped twice, just can,t get the look i am after. The time i have spent on this rod i would have been better off to buy a new one. Any thoughts, thanks John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Refinishing
Posted by: Greg Mitchell (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 04:20PM

What about permagloss - isn't that what it is for?
Greg

Posted by: John Meyer (---.balt.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 08:25PM

John have you read this article? Its a must read!

Refinishing Rod Blanks By Ralph O'Quinn
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 06, 2005 09:20PM

In general, Read these articles before re-working an old rod blank:

(1) LIBRARY: SURFACE PREPARATION by Ralph O'Quinn. RMM-5(2).
Originally appeared in RodMaker Magazine, Volume 5, Issue # 2.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

(2) LIBRARY: REFINISHING ROD BLANKS by Ralph O'Quinn. RMM-2(3).
Originally appeared in RodMaker Magazine, Volume 2, Issue # 3.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Also, Back-issues of RMM can be ordered on-line, for $7 each, at:
[http://www.rodmakermagazine.com/]
or by using the link at left in the List of Sponsors.

If you used a soap or detergent to "wash" the rod blank after your stripping & sanding, I hope you rinsed enough to remove any soap film or detergent residue. Those are water-soluble anyway. The general guideline is to handle the blank with your bare hands as little as possible after sanding / stripping, so that no skins oils or dirt will interfere with the new rod finish's adhesion. If you have enough PermaGloss to do the whole rod blank, and can stand the fumes or ventilate enough, that is probably the lost indestructible clear rod finish you can apply, short of the automotive paint shop's specialty products. If you lay it on thin enough so it won't run, you can hang the rod vertically, (tip up), to dry. Plan on several coats, as PG is best applied in thin coats that dry hard, rather than globs. PG has to evaporate to harden; it is NOT a reactive 2-part finish like epoxy. If you think the blank will get heavy in your hand while you do the whole job of one coat at a time, hang the tip off a door knob or from a hook in the ceiling. And you can extend the butt end for a handle with a wood dowel cushioned with paper towels inside so you can paint the bitter end. Hopefully, you didn't go too deep if you sanded the graphite. LOL, -Cliff Hall-

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.123.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 09:30PM

Permagloss is good and dries fast - too fast and can be a pain to use. The minwax will be easy to use and give you more time to work it
I paint my blanks with auto colors, then put one or two thin coats of glass coat on. Thinned with thinners. Ya Ya here comes the flack about epoxy on blanks, but Ken uses it tinted, and has no problems with durability in salt water

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 09:34PM

Permagloss is a moisture-curing urethane. The higher the humidity, the faster it cures. Keeping moisture out of the bottle as the level in it drops is important or it'll set up right in the bottle (at least the top part of it will). It is a great rod blank finish; extremely hard. Work with it very quickly-it sets up FAST.

Posted by: John Raymond (---.dsl.tc3net.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 09:36PM

Thanks guys this is the kind info i was looking for John

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.45.123.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 10:08PM

I never had a problem with it drying in the bottle. I poor it into a cup, wipe the threads off very good, and then do not tighten the top real hard. Keep in the refridge

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: February 06, 2005 11:17PM

Putter - THANK YOU for correcting my error / misinformation on PermaGloss (PG).

You correctly stated that PG is a MOISTURE-CURING URETHANE. It doesn't exactly need to "evaporate", as I mistakenly said. (I was thinking it was an oxidation reaction, but that is beside the point now.)

It does require exposure to moisture from the air to harden (which in Florida is no problem, even in winter). So, it is a "reactive" finish in the sense that a 2nd reactant is needed to start the curing process. But since that 2nd reactant is the latent water vapor in moist AIR, which is ubiquitous, all that is required is to spread out the PG, and a thin enough layer will set up for hardening. I apologize for the misleading nature of my earlier description of the curing process. -Cliff Hall-

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: February 07, 2005 02:02AM

Cliff
Didn't read that part of your post until now; didn't mean to ... well, you know. I was just trying to let John know how tricky this stuff is to work with and how quickly you must go with it.

First time that I tried it I was messing around with a brush in the middle of the winter here (VERY low humidity-every time ya touch something metal in the house ya get zapped by static) and the darned stuff set up so fast on me that I gave up on it. I've been back playing with this stuff again.

So I bought another bottle of it (I was so ticked I flushed the first one!) and have been playing around gloss coating some matte blanks. It's sure been a learning experience; I have been placing a roll of electrical tape on the floor, putting a piece of plastic about 4" x 4" on top of this roll of electrical tape, making a small hollow in the plastic, pouring some Permagloss into this hollow, then poking the tip of the rod blank through and slowly pulling the roll of electrical tape up the length of the blank while carefully holding the edges of the plastic. 3 coats this way seems to do a good job of putting a very smooth, full coat of Permagloss on the blank.

I tried adding some white Testor's pigment to it and it didn't work worth a darn. I'm going to try a thinner mil of the plastic. The stuff I'm using is fairly thick and I think that it's putting too much pressure on the sides of the blank and wiping it too thin for the pigment to come out. I tried 3 coats and didn't even get close to white except in spots...

Back to the lab; but it'll have to be after Charlotte.

Putter

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.69.104.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 07, 2005 09:11AM

here is an auto clear, similar to permagloss. A little easier to recoat The AC200. A lot cheaper then permagloss also [www.autopaintdirect.com]

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: February 07, 2005 11:29AM

If you have a spray gun, the Klass Kote epoxy paint is excellent. I brushed some on a blank as an experiment and it came out great. Tough to scratch even with a car key.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster