I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reel seat placement for steelhead rods
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: February 05, 2005 04:11PM

hello all. I have just bought a 13 foot, Rainshadow float blank and was wondering about the advantages/disadvantages of reel seat placement. My previous float rods have always had reel seats towards the butt of the rod, primarily because I used to fish with float reels. With this rod I want to keep it as light as possible and will be using a spinning reel. Are there any practical advantages to having your reel towards the butt of the guide versus about a foot from the butt? Just curious about how others build their rods. Thanks, Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reel seat placement for steelhead rods
Posted by: Steve Ekstrand (---.sea1-4.27.224.88.sea1.dsl-verizon.net)
Date: February 05, 2005 04:49PM

Tom

I haven't built one that long, my longest are usually 10 1/2 foot and I build casting rods, not spinning. But the configuration that is most comfortable for me is with a 14" rear grip, a large foam butt and a 3 or 3 1/2 inch fore grip. This is built on a Rainshadow 1263. I have also used this set up for drift fishing a bit and I think the only thing I might change on the next one an exposed blank reel seat to make if more effective for this application. This has become my favorite all around rod for steelhead and salmon.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2005 05:44PM

Tom,
I think that Steve's suggestions are just about right. You are going to want the longer rear grip on a rod that long because I think that you will find that you will want to use both hands when casting and when you have a fish on you will want the end of the rear grip to reach back to about your elbow. Plus a rod that long is going to have an odd balance, be very tip heavy, with a shorter rear grip.
Also if you are going to be making it as a spinning rod I would certainly use the concept system when setting up the guides so as to keep the weight toward the tip of the rod as low as possible.

Posted by: Mike Marrone (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2005 07:40PM

I'd say it depends on whether you are planning to cast long distances. On a spinning rod, I prefer the reel seat in the center of the grip give or take a few inches either way, but usually a longer foregrip. I like the feel of it with the reel in the center for drifting, and most times when I fish for salmon or steelhead I dont need a long cast. If you plan on casting the rod long distances, I'd say have a larger rear grip than foregrip. With the reel in the center of the grip or towards the rear It makes the rod feel lighter, sort of like choking up on a baseball bat.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: February 05, 2005 10:00PM

If it were me I would place the butt end so it was just at my elbow and then put the reel seat as if you were going to use a center pin reel. This should be 10 to 12 inches of rear grip. I know you said you wanted to use a spinning reel but you never know you may want to use the pin later on. This way its set up for the pin and a spining reel. I do not like the short rear grips when using a pin.

Rolly

Posted by: David Banaka (209.152.39.---)
Date: February 06, 2005 12:53PM

Most of the rods I build are steelhead and salmon rods. Most commonly you will have a 13.75 - 14" butt section, your reel seat, and then whatever length fore grip you desire. I personaly use a 2".

With a 14" butt grip you will have more grip surface on your fore arm for a better hook set. There is more stability there and more surface for the butt. It also give you a better rod balance one your reel is in place for easier casting.

14" but grips are the norm in the NW region unless of course you or a customer wants a longer or shorted length.

I hope this helps.

David Banaka

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: February 06, 2005 08:19PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will stick to a longer rear grip this time, perhaps around 11" long. I find any longer and the butt jabs in to my stomach too much. Thanks again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster