I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recoil vs Snake brand snakes.
Posted by: Darrin Dembowski (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: February 05, 2005 02:35PM

I'm wondering how everyone would compare recoil snakes vs "snake" brand snakes. I've built using "snake" brand before and really like the already prepped feet and was wondering how the recoil compared for prep work.
The future stick is a 3 weight thats why I'm considering the "lighter" recoil.
Thanks and cheers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recoil vs Snake brand snakes.
Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: February 05, 2005 10:03PM

having built with both i can say that the snake brand is easier to work with. the recoils are lighter for sure but they are harder to work with. you will need to prep the feet and the titanium is a little harder. the feet are too long but if you shorten them you won't have a flat bottom and they will be hard to wrap straight up sometimes. if you use snake brand don't get them any larger than absolutley necessary. even though snake says the guide feet are already prepped i felt the need to do some additional prep work.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 08:47AM

Darrin,
I used REC Recoil snake guides on a few rods during the past year, both wire weights, on 3,4 and 5 wt fly rods. I was attracted to these guides because of their thin wire, light weight, and because they flex easily and return to shape. When I wrapped them, I did nothing to prepare the feet and found them easy to wrap. This was my experience, others may have differing opinions.

So far I haven't seen any cracks forming in my thread epoxy. This may result from the fact that the REC guide flexes and puts less pressure on the epoxy, and because I use an epoxy that doesn't cure extremely hard. Only time will tell though.

Regarding guide material hardness, and wear, I think it's too early to tell how the Recoils will compare to other snakes. Mine haven't been in use long enough to tell whether they will groove more or less than other snake guides.

I will note though, that my orders directly to REC were processed and shipped very quickly, even during the time when they were going through a relocation of their business.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: February 06, 2005 02:38PM

Hey Jeff,

What finish do you use?

Cheers

Mark

Posted by: Darrin Dembowski (---.cpe.net.cable.roger)
Date: February 06, 2005 02:53PM

Thank you all very much for your replies.
Thanks and cheers

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 06, 2005 04:04PM

Mark,
I've been using Aftcote, multiple coats, and have just begun experimenting with AMTAK which appears to cure to a harder finish.
Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster