I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bamboo rod ferrules
Posted by: Joe Flowers (---.houston.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2005 07:25AM

I'm trying to restore a 1950's vantage el cheapo Japanese-built fly rod. Among its many problems is a bent ferrule. It looks to be made of stainless steel. All the ferrules I've been able to find on the web are nickel-silver and cost more than this rod's worth.
Also, the striping guide is in poor condition. I need a replacement that isn’t a piece of jewelry. Anyone know who might carry replacement hardware for a rod like this one? Using the stuff I’ve been able to find is would be like putting diamond earrings on a pig.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bamboo rod ferrules
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.68.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: February 05, 2005 07:41AM

That rod sounds like ( furrel ) material?? LOL

Posted by: larry pirrone (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: February 05, 2005 09:18AM

neals fishing products (a sponsor at left )has some stainless steel ferrul sets. first you will need to remove the old ferrul. gentle heat alternated with ice should break it loose. i doubt if they are pinned on your rod but it is possible. once removed you need to mike the flat to flat measurement in 64ths. order your ferrul set per the female (butt) section meaurement. your ferrul stations may have been turned dow and are round already so take the measuremnt of the round section if that is the case. if the rod has a straight taper from butt to tip, that is if the butt measurment is the same as the tip ferrul station you are home free i think. if not i think you might be toast. as for strppers, mildrum stripping guides are fine for bamboo and in fact was what many used. REC components carries them. you probably want a 10. the weak point in a lot of bamboo rods is the ferrul station. the ferrul is stiffer than the bamboo and the flexing creates a stress riser where the ferrul contacts the blank at the end of the ferrul where the wrap is. on good bamboo the ferruls are serated. good builders file these areas down to a fine taper which allows flexing of the metal and releaves the stress riser. the stainless ferruls are not serated and so you will not have that benefit which may lead to failure at the bamboo ferrul junction. to get serated ferruls you need golden witch field grade ferruls of nickel silver. after all of your work you may end up with a wall hanger and not much more. am i an expert on bamboo rod building? no, but i did stay at a holliday inn last night.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.westk01.tn.comcast.net)
Date: February 05, 2005 09:57AM

Pigs look good with a small diamond. If I was gonna fish it, I would put on a SIC stripper. I do not know where to get a cheap ferrule.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.145.140.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: February 05, 2005 01:35PM

I got tons of ferrules and stripper guides for the type rod your refinishing, email me your name and address and ferrule size, I'll mail them to you. No Charge.

Tight lines,

Art

mrparramoure@yahoo.com

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 05, 2005 04:08PM

If tou choose not to go with Art, you can always try Jann's NetCraft, They have economy ferules and stripper guides, personaly I would try Art his price seems right.
Larry

Posted by: Wayne C. Merhoff DVM (---.nocal.dialup.o1.com)
Date: March 11, 2006 02:23PM

I have a montague sunbeam rod 3 X 2 tip. One tip snapped off flush with male ferrule, while bass fishing. I have driven in the pin, and used a heat gun, but am unable to remove the bamboo fragment. Anyone have a solution, besides the firewood alternative? I am trying to learn to restore these things and it is a "learner"
Wayne

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster